Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Still in ICU

We showed up at the hospital at 8am.

Settled in ICU room 42 (with our own bathroom)... room 42 is in the neuro unit because cardiac was full... thankfully, we got one of our favorite cardiac nurses! The IV team comes and gets the IV in ... Dr.'s have to order the Rituximab... we then wait for the pharmacy to deliver the meds... then we had to start the dose at a very slow rate. What should be a quick 4 hour dose of Rituximab, turns into a 12 hour day of trying to entertain a 1 yr old crazy little man fun! Dr. Stock has come by every hour to entertain us. All of Owen's nurses, previous Respiratory Therapists and PCT's are dropping in to visit. Owen is amused.

Owen hasn't had any reactions this time around. Last time he had this treatment he was given Benadryl via his IV and turned into a wild child! We blamed it on the Benadryl. This time he hasn't had any and he is just as crazy. Rituximab side effect perhaps? Could it be ICU boredom?

If our calculations are correct.. he'll be done with his 50cc's by 6pm... then we have to wait around for an hour to be discharged. Do I really have to come back in 7 days for more IVIG? Do I really have to stay for two days next week? I really hope this is going to work!!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well even though I know how lame it is to be in the ICU longer than planned, it is great to hear that he had no reaction(other than craziness)!
It'll be worth it when he's got a new heart beating in his sweet little chest!

Aimee Hardy said...

Yuck. What a lot of long days. Hang in there! Hopefully soon this will all just be a bad memory that makes for some good stories.

Stephanie said...

I hope by this time you're home and Owen is happy and reaction free!!!! Keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers!

Jamie said...

Keeping my fingers crossed that everything continued as planned! Always in our prayers.

The B Family said...

Hoping all went well and that you're sleeping at home now!

I am placing my bed on the hospital boredom! Mr. Owen is one smart guy and knows when he can get even more attention (I, personally, don't blame him.)!

Love y'all~ Rebecca

mrsrubly said...

praying for round 2 to be calm and peaceful..well with a 1YO!

Jenna said...

Glad to hear the infusion is going okay. HUGS for Owen!!