Owen finished up his first 18 hour dose of IVIG and we gave him a few hour break before starting the next dose. Five minutes after starting it... Owen screamed and grabbed his IV. I have never seen him in that much pain... ever! His IV was flushing beautifully but he continued to scream and grab his arm in pain. The IV team came down (we don't mention Owen's name on the page to them anymore) and they were so sad it was Owen. They all love him so much and it breaks their heart to stick him over and over and over again. The worst part is.. he sees them as his friends and smiles at them as soon as they walk in the room. I'd be running the other way! We got another IV in after a few painful sticks and digging around the veins. Took out the bad IV and just started on his next 18 hour round. I am so grateful that he won't remember any of this one day! We have a fabulous nurse tonight who normally works in the PICU and remembers Owen from his Norwood. He definetly leaves a memorable impression on everyone he meets.
We have a room to ourselves tonight... let's pray we don't get a "behind the curtain" friend until tomorrow.
8 comments:
Poor Owen. Get some sleep tonight you two!
Hope your night was better!
Praying for rest and sending good vibes your and Owen's way!!!!
Oh, I hope you had a better night! And I wish I lived closer, because I would definitely come sit with little Owen so you could at least go to the bathroom! Best wishes to you guys.
Thinking of little Owen, hoping all is well and he is in his own bed tonight. ;)
Funny how the IV team doesn't seem to care how many pokes it takes huh? I get so MAD at them, but hey if it was them getting poked you know it would be different. Kylie never gets good IV's in. Took 5 tries before I said enough for her sedated echo. NEVER AGAIN. I hope you are doing good and get home soon. Lots of Love and Prayers coming your way.
it is so sweet and amazing to see how happy little owen is. i can't believe he loves the i.v. team!! gracey screams the second she sees people in scrubs or yellow coats!
i am grateful things have been going relatively well, and glad that things got straightened out with the nurses. you deserve the utmost treatment for yourself and your little one.
i am praying hard for your sweet family that a miracle will happen soon and he will receive his new heart.
thinking of you all!
love the andersens
My name is Heidi Skidmore. I am in Todd and Monica's ward. I just had a baby with HLHS on Wed. and we are scheduled for the Norwood Tuesday. I just found your blog. And Monica has raved about you guys. I read through multiple posts until I started streaming tears and had to start. It is hard to think about the long haul. I need to get through the first surgery first. Can I ask if you can describe in a nutshell why he needs the transplant and that he is not a candidate for the Fontan? I started blogging. Crazyskids.blogspot.com.
You will be in our prayers.
Thanks-
Heidi
Post a Comment