Did you know???
** CHD's are the number one birth defect and the number one cause of infant death related to defects-- 1 in 100 babies born will have a CHD
** 1 in 10 of those babies will have a fatal defect
**In the U.S., nearly twice as many children die due to CHDs than that of all forms of childhood cancers combined. Yet there is 5 times more research for pediatric cancer than for CHDs
**Causes for CHDs are still being studied. While there is no known definitive cause, it is said that both genetics and environmental factors can play a role.
**About 40,000 units of blood are used every day yet only about 5% of the adults, the only ones who are eligible to donate blood, do so. Someone needs blood every three seconds in the United States; that someone is often one of our heart children.
**Only about 30% of the children who need a heart transplant receive one in time.
What can you do??
RAISE AWARENESS -- DONATE BLOOD -- REGISTER TO BECOME AN ORGAN DONOR!
Owen was born with one of the most severe CHDs. Fortunatly, he has made it to his first birthday and continues to do okay. We pray that Owen will get a perfect heart when the time is right and that it will last him a while. The average heart only lasts an average of 10 years! We have lost many of our heart friends and have prayed for many more! Join us this week in not only celebrating Valentine's Day.. but raising awareness for our little ones!
3 comments:
Excellent post. I need to go google some facts to put on my blog and facebook and everything (or I'll just get lazy and copy yours).
I got your message. I'm so glad that Owen is getting to be listed. I don't have anything bad to say about Denver - I work there. I'm a CA (what they call their CNAs) at Children's in the CPCU which is the step-down inpatient unit for cardiology. I've been there 2 months and I love it. I'm planning to go to nursing school as soon as I can.
Thanks for stopping by to read about Alan!
I'm inspired by your son. Even though we're strangers, we'll pray for Owen and know that our thoughts are with your family.
Nice post....mine is very similar & I mention Owen because no one pulls on the heart strings like him!
Post a Comment