Thursday, June 3, 2010

Sick Sis and a Sweet Boy

Well... this wasn't how I envisioned spending the first week of summer vacation. Who gets strep throat when it's 100 degrees out? Kamryn does. She said her tummy hurt yesterday morning, then it turned into shivering and then spiked several fevers. When she woke up today and said her throat hurt, we went straight to the pediatrician. Strep positive. Ten days of yummy, pink bubblegum liquid. She came home and has been passed out for the past two hours. I hope she feels normal tomorrow because she has dress rehearsal and then her dance recital is on Saturday. There's no time to be sick.

We saw Dr Laks because Dr Jean doesn't work on Thursdays.. but she said that in the 18 months since she last saw Kamryn.... she's grown a little over six inches. She's just five inches away from meeting my height at 5'5".... at 10!
Since sissy is sick, Owen and I have been getting creative. He knows she's in her room and he wants to go up there and PLAY with her! Last night, he didn't have his playmate while I cooked dinner. Instead, he got a pan full of dried pinto beans and his trucks. At first it was entertaining...
Then he realized he could sprinkle them on the floor and I was too busy cooking dinner to care. He kept sprinkling one or two on the floor at a time and then he'd yell "mess!" I said "it's okay, make a BIG mess, Mommy needs to cook."
Sprinkling didn't suffice, so he started throwing handfuls and then truck loads of beans would ping pong on the floor. I was cringing with the sound of each bean hitting the floor, but I let him play.
Then he said "all -done" and he was trying to open the garage door. I realized he wanted the broom and then he swept all the beans into a pile for me. How sweet is that?????
Owen has speech therapy and for the first time ever, he put two words together. "Bue Ball, Dree Ball, and p-nk Ball!" I was so proud! I then asked her how far behind Owen was in speech. Apparently, by the look on her face, he's got a ways to go. He is making a lot of word assumptions and is now (as of yesterday) putting two words together. Progress. That is all I ask for. Besides... I can understand everything he says and the boy sweeps up his own messes!

6 comments:

Kristi said...

Theres something special and private about a momma who can understand her babe when no one else can ;)

Hope everyone gets better!

Nancy said...

Way to go, Owen! That's great progress in speech. And, hey, who wouldn't want an adorable little boy who cleans up his own messes??!!

Hope Kamryn feels better soon!

Tasha said...

He'll get there in speech. I firmly believe each kid has their own timeline on when they will do things. :)

Hope Kamryn starts feeling better soon!

Evie's Story said...

Youre SUCH a fun mom to just let Owen have at it with the pinto beans INSIDE!

Hope big sis gets to feeling better very soon and that it isnt passed around the family. Poor dear!

Aimee Hardy said...

What a good boy, cleaning up his own mess. You've trained him well. He's welcome at our house any day.

I hope Kamryn gets feeling well soon so you call all enjoy your 100 degree weather together.

Melody said...

That is so cute that he swept up his beans!! He is so cute! Praying for Kamryn to feel better and for Owen, as always!! Glad Owen is progressing in his speech...that's great!!