Monday, June 28, 2010

Sick Lil' Man

Owen woke up from his nap yesterday and was smokin' hot to the touch. Fast forward to 7pm last night during tubby time, he started shaking hysterically and his entire body turned purple. I don't think I have ever scooped him up and hooked him up to the pulse ox faster. His oxygen was in the low 50's and he was on fire again. After a another dose of Motrin, more oxygen, and lots of fluids (so loving the Gtube access), he was back to "okay" status.

His heartrate was elevated, but I'm pretty sure that's normal when you have a fever. All through the night I kept rotating Tylenol and Motrin. He breathed heavily and quickly. None of us slept well, including Owen. He puked twice, I had to change his sheets twice. I almost took him into PCH, but wanted to save him all the pricks since he was responding to the meds and his O2 was stable.

We got up early and headed to the pediatrician. Dr Laks (his regular) was out today, so we went to our friend Dr Jean. His temp was 101.5, even with all the fever reducers in his system. His ears look good. His lungs sound clear. His throat looks red but the strep culture came back negative. We're pretty sure it's viral and that means there is nothing we can do but let him ride this out.

He's now in bed and seems a little miserable. He's tolerating his feeds okay, as long as I make him really bland blends. I'm also giving him lots of Pedisasure. I have a call into cardiology. I don't know at what point we need to take him in for cultures.

Background: When Owen was younger.. any little fever would give him a one-way-ticket to ICU. He was cultured and given IV antibiotics as a precaution. Now that he's older and he hasn't had a fever in years.. I just don't know what to do.

I had planned to take fun 4th of July pics this morning for his 29 month post. Maybe tomorrow.

PS. We are already down to 1 pink bink. Where do they go? It doesn't matter. If he needs one... he gets one... at naptime that is. Oh.. and his teeth are awesome... so his dentist says... and his smile lights up our lives!!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor little guy, sorry to hear he is sick. I think he a very cute smile. Hope he feels better soon.
Binki's rock what ever color they happen to be!

ParkerMama said...

Yikes! I know these types of nights well. I hope your guy gets feeling better...and fast!

Nice to have found your blog!

Tammy and Parker
www.prayingforparker.com
www.5minutesforspecialneeds.com
@ParkerMama on Twitter

Pete, Ali, Charlie and Rosie said...

Feel better soon Owen! We're thinking of you and Charlie sends a big high-five. X

The Davis Family said...

Praying he can avoid the ICU this time around! I am sorry he is sick.

TrishAnderson said...

I am so sorry to hear that he isn't feeling well. He continues to be in my prayers!!!! Thinking about you today. It sounds like a PJ day to me!

Tasha said...

How scary to hear he is so sick. Hope he gets well soon! I am convinced binky's grow legs and run away. or they magically go invisible. Maybe both.

Katie said...

So sorry he's feeling so crummy! Maddie had a similar virus a few weeks ago...hers resulted in an ear infection though. Hope he's turning the corner and you get to stay out of the hospital. I'm with you, I always second guess myself too with Maddie. These kiddos just like to keep us guessing I suppose. Take care!

Anonymous said...

We don't have quite the severity of heart condition that Owen does, but severe enough that I could totally relate to just about everything on your post today. Sad, but nice to know someone else is in the same place as you are! Anna hopes Owen feels better and hopes are high for the future.

Brandi said...

You can also put Pedialyte through the Gtube! Great for rehydrating feverish bodies!

Have you ever heard of Angel Flights?

They will fly you and Owen for FREE on luxurious private corporate jets.

You don't have to go through security checkpoint (no fuss with carrying meds!), and those long airport lines either, as you just board the plane from a small private airport usually.

We used them a few times,when our son was very ill and I can't recommend them enough!!

I have never before flown in such luxury either, and it was great for my son to have so much room to walk around the almost empty plane, or lounge on the big leather comfy seats, more like couches! I'm telling you it was better than First Class! And, much less germs as a commercial flight, as you usually only fly with maybe one or two other business men aboard...check it out!!

http://www.angelflight.com/

Crystal in IL said...

I agree with the other comment to give Pedialyte. I wouldn't even bother with the Pediasure since it's so heavy on the tummy. Hydration not nutrition is the most important thing now. I know it's hard to switch gears. I say let the man have his bink :) I promise he won't go to kindergarten with it! Well if he does who cares? I hope little dude starts feeling better soon and stops scaring mommy and daddy.