Owen's weight is up... 29.06 lbs and 36" tall. We didn't take his blood pressure, but I'm going to guess it was 70/40 like it was last time. Low. Nothing too concerning. We talked about our visit to Stanford, transplant, and increasing his medications. Dr Rosenthal (from LPCH) wants us to go up on his medications, based on his weight increase. The new doses are insane!!! He is already on 60mg of Captopril a day and based on his size, he would need to be on 75mg a day!! Also, we need to increase his Carvedilol (beta blocker) to 6.5mg a day, which is also a very hefty dose of a strong medication. I guess if they're keeping him stable... what choice do we have. We all have the same goal... keep him stable and growing.
I was having a Mommy downer day and Dr Stock listened and was encouraging. We had a long talk. We talked about how he exhausts, can't eat, can't walk, can't keep up with other kiddos his age. Dr Stock reminded me that's all he has ever known and not to compare him to a healthy toddler. We talked about transplant and the benefits of keeping him and his heart working together a long as possible. We discussed signs that Owen would show when he's ready to be listed. Lowering saturations (that won't increase with added oxygen), exhaustion, irritability, lowered heart function, ect. We talked about the Fontan and if Owen had been a candidate, we would be planning his surgery for early fall. Neither of us know when Owen will need a new heart, but agreed that the cath in October will be a pretty big indicator of what's to come.
I keep reminding myself that this is all out of my hands. There is a plan for Owen and I just need to have faith that it will all work out. I am amazed at how well he continues to do, despite the odds against him. I can't imagine what it's like to have so little energy to walk, or eat. I worry that he's not living a great quality of life. Then I look at the silver lining...It's his life, and it's all he knows. He is so happy. What may seem weird to others is normal to him. He lifts his shirt for feeds (every 30 minutes throughout the day) and says thank you when I'm done. He gets excited when the UPS man brings his delivery of formula and supplies. He gives knuckles to the oxygen delivery man. He loves his therapists that come and play with him, even when he doesn't cooperate. He doesn't mind the countless doctors visits. He lives life the best way he knows how.
I wrote this post last night. This morning when Daddy was leaving for work, he accidentally kissed Owen on the nose. "Daddy -- my -- nose!" I knew what he meant. He has been giving Eskimo kisses to me and Sis all morning since, each time with a small giggle. I'm in love!!
9 comments:
And if he could put more words together, he would say "Thank you for being the best mom a little guy could ever have."
It is with your love and encouragement that he thrives. Mommy downer days are to be expected. One day at a time, one step at a time and prayer will see you both through.
I will pray from the sidelines :)
Oh man those are huge doses. Poor guy. And you are more than allowed to have a down day anytime you want!
Sorry you are having a down day! It's allowed every once in awhile. :) I don't know you guys personally, just follow your wonderful blog, and have to say that Owen looks like one of the happiest little guys ever! Seriously. He has stolen my heart through the pictures you post of him.
Owen is such a sweety, I always love your pictures of him! Wow, talk about a lot of captopril...thank heaven for the g-tube!
I'm pretty sure Owen & Josh are the exact same size...wouldn't you love to see those sillys together???
I can't imagine your "normal" life. He is lucky to have such a caring momma. My thoughts and prayers are continually with you.
I'm sorry for the bad day! They are bound to happen. I thought my little girl took alot of her meds. She takes about half that of Carvedilol and alot of Enalaprel which they increase with every weight gain. She is 22 lbs though.
Owen looks so happy and it's these heart kiddos normal. They cut two of Ellie's meds last time and she actually cried when I didn't give them to her. She held the bottle and kept saying "peas, peas, peas." I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. Hoping Owen continues to do well.
Becca
Praying for Owen and your family! God does have a plan for Owen!!
He is such a fighter! And so is his Mommy! He is a very fortunate little guy to have such a loving and caring Mommy!! Hang in there!! He is so precious!! Glad for the weight gain and that he is so happy!!
I have a question... (that im very confused about so some clarification would help lol)... with Owen having such a broken heart, why isn't he listed on the transplant list already? I mean aren't there hundreds (thousands?) of children listed on it already? And if his heart is so bad already, which thankfully it CAN be kept stable with meds, eventually he WILL Need a new heart, right? So why would you wait to put him on the transplant list? Im so confused lol and I'd be interested to know! :) *Megan from WI*
Love this post. There IS a special plan for Owen and you WILL know when it's time to list him. Everything will fall into place. Praying for you always.
Mason's Mommy
Post a Comment