Tuesday, August 24, 2010

We have a date

After several date changes... it looks like we'll be going to Stanford 9.9-9.11. We have always driven and taken a little family vacation on our way and I'm trying to decide if we should try our hands at flying this time around. Nothing about spending 24 hours in a car with a 2 yr old in 4 days saounds like fun. Especially when that 2 year old is going to be sore and bruised after his cardiac catherization.

It took me hours today to track down a portable oxygen concentrator that would offer continuous flow and extra batteries for our trip. The airlines only allow a few oxygen concentrators on board and only one of those models will work for Owen. Of course, they are out of stock everywhere!! None of the oxygen rental companies will bill insurance as portable oxygen is a "convienience item". Awesome.

I found some smokin' airline deals, but still need to figure out if they are refundable. We never know if they will keep Owen and list him, or send us home. I'm sure the one time we purchase airline tickets, they'll keep him. Just cause. :)

I know I am looking forward to hearing the transplant team's opinion on how Owen is doing. You can only see so much from an echo, but a heart cath can tell a whole other story. My hope is that they can fine tune him a little to buy him more time. We'll see. He has already bought himself A LOT of time since we first learned of transplant almost 2 years ago.

I have a lot of details to work out in the next two weeks. Kamryn should stay in school and with family, but I will miss her terribly. I am selfish and want to bring her along for the fun. I know she'll be terribly bored at the hospital all day. I've never left her. I hate to leave her.

We're praying that this little guy will be home again in no time, hopefully less blue! Let the countdown begin...

13 comments:

Jenny said...

Praying for Owen and your family as his cath date approaches.
Heart hugs,
Jenny (mom to Aly- HLHS)

Melody said...

Praying for Owen and your family!! He is such a sweet, strong little boy!

Santiago's Story said...

Praying for sweet Owen. I pray for him all the time but I will send extra ones =) I just love his pics he is always looking so happy!! Ur such great parents he has one Amazing family!! God bless you ALL <3 <3

Anonymous said...

maybe its just me but i can not read the actual text you typed here....it blends right into the background color.
Hope all is well.

Tara said...

Praying for Owen and the rest of your family.

Love the pictures of him. He is so adorable!

Anonymous said...

I can't read the text either.

Melissa said...

I really hope all goes well. I think of Owen alot and pray for your family. Good luck with everything!

cici said...

Those Decisions are tough ones. I hate making decisions.
As an outsider looking in I would Fly this time and let Kamryn stay in School,but that decision should be partly hers too. since she is doing so well She could keep a journal for class if she insists on coming along. Tell her she can call you anytime she wants to talk and she will be the Woman of the house and take care of Daddy while your gone. ;)
I know together you will make the right decisions.

I will pray for a quick, good news visit.

Andrea Gunnell said...

Such cute pictures! Good luck with everything. We'll be thinking of you!

Taylor'sMama said...

Andrea,
Definitely check out Angel Flights!
They will fly you and Owen for FREE because of medical treatment.

www.angelflight.com

There is another similar program called
Angel Flight West:

www.angelflight.org

Airstar

480-649-261
www.airstararizona.com
info@airstararizona.com

While not free, this Arizona-based company offers assisted medical flights at very reasonable prices compared against typical medical flight where the patient must pay. Typically they can be 75% off the cost of normal medical flights.

Chris A said...

I beleive Southwest will let you reschedule flights without penalty if you have a medical reason. You might try calling them.

Love your blog.

with Hope,
~ Chris A ~

Katie said...

So glad the cath will be sooner than later- I'm sure you're so nervous and trying to prepare always brings on more anxiety. Praying for you to come right back home on this one too...hugs to you guys!

Dave Lucy & Marley Gurney said...

You are so strong. Owen truly is blessed to have you as his mother! Love and prayers