Owen got excited when I told him we were on our way to Cardiology this afternoon. Weird kid. He loves to go to the doctor. Perhaps it's the suckers, or the stickers, or the extra attention he gets from everyone at the office.... whatever works for him, it's working for me too.
Owen's appointment was originally scheduled for Friday at 8am in at PCH. I got a call from Dr Stock's assistant yesterday and she said that he was going to make a special trip to the Mesa office JUST to see Owen. He heard about my bum knee and he also didn't want me having to lug Owen to Phoenix that early in the morning. Best Doctor Ever!!!
Owen started with a weight check that was less than impressive at 28.5lbs. All of his new motor skills are burning calories faster than I can pump them into him. It's time to bump the calories to 1500/day. Yikes. If that doesn't get him gaining, I don't know what will.
He was perfect for his EKG and his length was 37". He cried when the nurse took the EKG stickers off his chest so she gave him a new sheet of sticky EKG stickers. Those were soon stuck all over his legs and stroller. Good times.
I'm sure his echo tech was thrilled to watch "Elmo's Potty Time" for the full hour in the echo room. I will never get over how well he behaves for his echos. He just lies there with his snorty and watches a movie while the tech adjusts him, rolls him on his side and then arches him over the pillow to get up in his neck. He did say that he was done on more than one occasions, but he was easily distracted by the jumbo stuffed Elmo in the room.
Dr Stock came in after reviewing his echo and nothing has changed. It's good and bad new all at once. I always secretly hold on to hope that his echo will improve.. the function, the leaky valve, anything... so that maybe another surgery would postpone transplant. No such luck. Not today. The good news is that he is stable. I'll take stable.
His sats are a little concerning lately... he is up to a liter, sometimes a liter and a half of oxygen. His sats are barely hanging in the mid 70 range on that liter flow. When he's playing or walking (wahoo!), his sats plummet to the 50's and at times into the 40's. He quickly recovers back to his baseline with rest, but I'm seeing more blueberry boy that I'm comfortable with.
Owen's blood pressure also remains ridiculously low, but he tolerates it, so I guess it is what it is. We can't increase or adjust his meds due to this, so he is on the same doses as he was over a year ago. We are going to try to wean the Viagra over the next few weeks, the only sign I can look for that he's not tolerating the wean is that his oxygen saturations will drop. Yikes. More decreasing oxygen sats?
Dr Stock once again feels that it's best to move up Owen's cath at Stanford. If we were to do it here, we would have it scheduled for the end of the month, but we all feel more comfortable having it done at Stanford. In case something were to go wrong in the cath lab. Dr Stock will send off Owen's echo and clinic notes and I will call Stanford on Tuesday and talk to them about bumping things up from Oct to Sept. If not... at least we have things booked for October.
We have another appointment scheduled with Dr Stock in a few weeks. Until then... Owen will keep on walking! He is getting so confident on those two feet of his. We're going to buy his first "real" pair of shoes tomorrow. We are so excited for him!
Thursday, August 12, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Oh man, I don't think people realize just how sticky those
Dang EKG stickers are! Good luck gettin em off the stroller!! This made mr laugh and laugh.
And Dr Stock does rule if he came to Mesa cause I know those Docs HaTe driving out to that office.
And good job Owen for being so good for your echo!
Andrea,
I'm both happy and sad that Owen's echo stayed the same. And yes, Stock is wonderful; so thoughtful of him to come out to Mesa for you guys. Hopefully you can get to Stanford in Sept. We'll be at CHOP, so we can swap stories.
Heart hugs,
Stacey
I assume that was a typo and he's 28.5lbs not 38.5lbs lol, cause I bet you'd be super happy with that weight!
Sounds like you've got fabulous docs that take great care of all of you! Chris doesn't love that pillow under the neck position to look at the arch either, thank goodness for distractions eh? It always makes me happy and sad all at once that he doesn't need sedation for echoes. Happy he doesn't need the meds, but sad that he's so used to it when most kids would flip out.
Wendy
Skye loves those ekg "stickys" as well. we have them all over the place, even in the washing machine. oh lordy!
i hope everything is okay with you all, it seems like a rough patch the the knee issue!! And dont you just hate when one good thing leads to one bad things? ugh
<3
I was hoping like you that the echo would show an improvement. You are one lucky mama that he is so good with his echos. They seem to last so long and Hope cries the whole time. Praying you can get the cath moved up to September.
Glad Owen is at least stable! Exciting about his first pair of shoes! YEAH OWEN!! Continuting to Pray!!
I obviously don't understand the good and the bad, but I am glad to hear that he continues to be stable. You are continually in my prayers!!!
that is a boy after my heart...our family loves elmo's potty time too =)
justin and i just sit there and laugh at all the different names they call #2 - we are very mature.
anyway, we are here, thinking about and praying for all of you.
love,
the nelsons
Post a Comment