It took me a while to figure out what I wanted to do when I grew up. When I had Owen, it hit me hard. I want to be a nurse. I want to work in pediatrics and someday work in the ER and with trauma patients.
I have researched nursing schools all over the state and there are waiting lists just about everywhere. I say "bring on the competition!" The only classes I have to take are Chemistry, Biology and Anatomy. Usually high school sciences will count, but I guess I'm too old. Ha. I was going to start slow, but then I thought about how fun sleepless nights and stressful afternoons would be. I am starting off with an accelerated version of Biology and Chemistry, including the labs. I am so also doing "at home" classes through the Internet so I can be home with little boy BLUE.
Yesterday, we ventured down to the college campus and purchased my books and lab kits. We were able to visit with Grandpa Todd (one of the VP's of the college) and Grandma Monica. I am now armed with all my materials, I already typed up my welcome letters and signed the course syllabus. I think I can do this. I think.
I have six weeks to complete both of these courses and then I start right into my Anatomy class. When these are completed, I can get my fingerprint clearance, forward my transcripts and take the nursing entrance exam. Then I wait.....
While I wait...
Owen will hopefully get a new heart and become a strong little boy.
Speaking of transplant. I spoke with Stanford this morning and let them know just how blue this little boy has been. They agreed that they will try to push up his cath date.
I'm hoping to get these classes done ASAP. I'm excited for Kamryn to work on my labs with me. She's going to love dissecting a squid on our very own kitchen table and mixing chemicals for chemistry. I'm ready for this next adventure and I just hope Owen continues to take a 2 hour nap every afternoon so I can get some work done!
Wish me luck. :)
15 comments:
so exciting!! i start block 2 at mesa next week and couldn't be more excited. i'll be specializing in peds cardio, with inspiration from lil heroes like owen. it's a challenging program but totally worth it. enjoy!!
Wow! You go, girl!! Am seriously impressed - I can barely get the washing done and keep track of all the day to day stuff! You'll be brilliant! Good luck with it all. X
Exciting times! Good luck! You are a very determined person and you will be a great nurse!
How exciting! Good for you! I can't wait to read all about your adventures as you blog each one of them. You are truely Wonder Woman!
Take Care. Darn that color BLUE. Good luck with everything.
Im one of your blog stockers (but I'm not a creeper, I promise : ) Your little Owen has just captured my heart and I'm so impressed with his (and your entire families) strength! You are so amazing!
That's awesome about starting school - you'll do great. After reading your blog, I'm pretty convinced that you are wonder woman!!! I went to nursing school after I had kids - and let me tell you...it's not easy, but it is doable and very worth it! Good luck!
kemra(dot)nelson(at)hotmail(dot)com
Oh. Gosh! You're so brave and I'm so rooting for you!! I wanted to do nursing too after all braden's heart stuff but then I realized I still get queezy around blood! Sooo I will live out my dreams of paying back all those nurses I loved through you! No pressure.
Good job with starting school!! Hope all goes well! Praying for Owen!!
I'm jealous of your ambition. I recently looked into going back for my masters and I'm chickening out...for now. You're amazing and you'll do awesome!!
That is exciting!
Yet another example of our twimness..i've been thinking about going back to school to be a PA.
Back in the day when I was in college, the pa program was only a bachlor's program...now, it's a masters (i could just kick myself for changing majors).
You'll ace that anatomy class!!
can't wait to hear about all the success.
You go, girl! I think it would be amazing that you want to be a nurse. You have experience! ;) I'll cheer you on!
~Elyse
Andrea, I'm so excited for you. I can't believe what a brave person you are!
Oh good luck Andrea! I just know you'll be fabulous!
Cxx
Yes, Luck just might be the thing that you need. On the other hand - you have shear determination and that is usually better. Have fun!!!
Good luck! You will do well and what a great gift to medicine. My mom completed her LPN at age 50+ and it was thrilling
Good for you! Youre such an inspiration!
Post a Comment