Thursday, April 4, 2013

Owen's Progress

Owen's energy has been great lately and he's been doing really well.  Waking up at 6am, ready to get a move on his day.  This morning, he woke me up at 6, so I decided to do a Jillian DVD.  He was saying "Kam.. come check mommy exercise.. it's HILARIOUS!!"  Then I looked behind me to see a little blue eyed boy doing situps.  He had little weights in his hands (the ends off an old shower curtain rod) and then joined me in doing burpees.  Who needs PT when you have Jillian Michaels? 
He had another great session at gymnastics yesterday and did a lot of stepping up and down the mats.  His legs are really weak, so it was great to see him working so hard, even if his quads were trembling.  Last night I continued some work on the exercise ball with him. He would roll over the ball on his tummy and do little push up walks off the ball.  Then he stood up and his hands/face were purple.  We only did a few and I had to call it quits.
This morning, his OT came by and he did a phenomenol job writing his name, numbers and letters.  Then we decided to work on his art skills.  Kam used to spend hours doing artwork and it was so great!!  I saved it all in big binders, that I shared with his OT today.  Owen doesn't like drawing and so today we decided to work on it.  You may think those pictures on the left are Owen's, but nope... they are mine!!  Carnage on the left, Venom in the middle, courtesy of me. :)  I have not an art bone in my body!!  The picture on the right is Owen's Spiderman. I think he did a good job for him.  He has progressed nicely from his occassional scribble he used to do. 
So proud of Owen and how far he is coming along developmentally. I'm still trying to come up with a game plan for Kindergarten in the fall. Obviously, sending him to a regular classroom come August won't be an option, but I really want to have a plan in place. Homeschooling, mixed with a tutor from the school district would be ideal until he is able to attend. Thanks for reading.. can't believe it's almost the weekend!

2 comments:

Carrie said...

I would let the district know that you require homebound instruction so they can get it set up early. Some districts have a set of homebound instructors, others hire as needed. Another thought, have you considered cyber school? The benefit to that is that they sometimes have field trips or get togethers. They are infrequent. We have several cyber schools around here but I am not sure about your area. Certainly you will need to complete a 504 plan for him if he does have any part of reg. ed.

You likely know all of this! I am a special ed teacher. i was in school age but now I am preschool ed/ early intervention.

Livingthepost-itlife said...

^^ I agree with everything said above. I had early intervention, full day Kindergarten and an aide until 5th grade and 504/IEP until I graduated and had services in college.