Friday, April 12, 2013

Organ Donation and Advocacy

Just a brief update.. thank you for all your kind words, prayers, and emails. I appreciate it!! Owen is doing better than he was the other day. He had a lazy day again yesterday, but spent the evening with his Sis and Gigi at my parents house. He played on the trampoline, in the mud and had lots of giggles. One day at a time.

It is almost halfway through April and it is Organ Donation month!!   Owen has been on the transplant list for (almost) 8 months, waiting for his new chance at life.  We have been so fortunate that he has been stable enough to wait at home, knowing that many of our heart friends are fighting for their lives in an ICU.  We have lost friends, recently, who have run out of time while waiting.  It is so unfair that for our son to live, another family will lose their child.  But in that moment, the most horrible moment that those parents will ever experience, I pray that they will choose organ donation.
Organ donation is not always pretty.  It comes at a time of tragedy and loss.  Instead of holding your loved one as they pass away, you are signing papers and kissing them as they are wheeled to an OR.  It is truly a selfless act of giving as a single donor can save up to 8 lives and countless more with tissue donation.  Owen may only receive a heart, but 7 other children are also given the gift of life!!  I can't think of another way to leave me legacy in this world than to pass on life to another.
Last night, Carson and I had the opportunity to attend a forum at Phoenix Children's hospital.  It's no secret that we have had our issues with care locally, which is the main reason we spend thousands of dollars to travel 900 miles away to get our Son the care he needs.  We sat in a board room with executives and co-directors of PCH and were able to share our stories with them.  We had the opportunity to offer ideas for improvement.  We are given the opportunity to apply to sit on the Family Advisory Council designated specifically for the CVICU and heart center.  We are making a change and it feels good. 

The amazing women that I have had the opportunity to meet in the last five years has been the biggest blessing of all.  Last night, we sat together, collectively and shed tears for one another.  The stories heartbreaking.  I pray that we softened the hearts of those executives and doctors and that moving forward, a difference will be made.  That because of our advocacy, we will make a difference in the lives of many.  I am proud to call these women my friends!! 

Now I am tearing up and Owen thinks I'm crazy crying at the computer.  :)  Thanks for reading and always being so supportive. 

1 comment:

Chris A said...

Beautiful Andrea, Beautiful.

with Hope,
~ Chris A ~