Owen had his first appointment with the pediatric Ophtamologist today. Unfortunately, we all have horrible vision, so it's not a matter of if he will need glasses, but when.
He has been begging to go to the eye doctor so that he can get glasses.. he is SO excited!! I figured it wasn't a bad idea to have his vision and eye health checked.
I called early last week to get into Dr C. He came highly recommended by many, so as expected, there was a three month wait list. I may have dropped the word 'heart transplant' and they called back with an appointment for today! Owen was so thrilled to finally have his chance to go to the eye doctor. Seriously excited! When I was making Owen's appointment, the receptionist asked if I had another child that was seen by Dr C. Not that I knew of? Then I told them Kam's information and she said..."oh.. Dr C did her eye surgery back in 2005." Good to know. I felt bad for not putting two and two together, but at least I know I had a good doctor correct her blocked tear ducts 8 years ago!
Fast forward to today. Owen rocked his vision tests, he was such a big boy! The assistant did a few basic tests with the glasses, colors, numbers, ect. Then the PA came in and got his medical history. She put the "Super Spidey dilating drops" in his eyes, which he thought was pretty cool. Then he was mad because it stung and asked the PA "are you insane?" It became the joke the rest of the appointment.
Owen was taken back to the room and Dr C came in to do a full exam. Owen had a rough time with the smaller letters, so there is a little nearsightedness going on. He will most likely end up with glasses going into first grade, just like Kam, and just like me. For now, he'll have to settle for these totally awesome roller shades for his dilated eyes.
He thinks they are pretty cool! So, no glasses. His eye health is great!! Dr C said he could see his dilated vessels behind the eyes are affected from his low saturations and poor perfusion, but it isn't affecting his vision. So yay for that and we'll go back in a year!!
Tuesday, April 23, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
What is crazy is that so many little things that you would never have noticed are connected to his heart health. Carla is becoming like a new child with her new heart. She is growing, her body is changing and her whole look is different. Weird how being in heart failure really made that big of a difference, but we never noticed because we are just her parents. I can't wait to see Owen rocking his perfect new heart. And, to see him grow and change, heart healthy...
Post a Comment