2011 has started off with a bang!! I couldn't wait any longer and made the call to Dr Hanley's office yesterday. I realize it was their first day back from a very long, and well deserved, holiday break. I just couldn't wait any longer.
They discussed Owen at a care conference on December 15th and the consensus was that Owen have a Tricuspid Valve repair. Soon.
Great news. So why am I so scared?? Dr Hanley's assistant asked if I wanted to go ahead and schedule the date. I couldn't do it! I got all clammy and stuttered... uuummmm mmmaayybbee I'll call back. I couldn't hang up the phone fast enough. I'm going to need therapy after this.
She faxed Dr Hanley's dictation so I could take it to Dr Stock tomorrow. Owen has another cardiology appointment and I'm hoping Dr Stock will give me the motivation to call and schedule this appointment.
Carson and I discussed it last night and we're leaning towards a February operation date. I know I need to just get it done and over with. We need to give Owen time to heal after this surgery before we'll know if the Fontan is even an option. If it is... then I would like to schedule it in July. Ideally.
So there you have it. My baby boy is strong enough to undergo another open heart surgery. We are so grateful for that. It is such a blessing, as two years ago we were told that this would never be an option.
I can't think about the day that we hand him over to the surgeon. I don't want to think about the day that we pace the waiting room waiting to hear the outcome. I don't want to think about his little body being put on bypass and cooled to near freezing while they repair his valve. I just can't focus on that now. I need to focus on setting a date.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
On another note. Staying healthy is key. We've all had a cold around here. Kamryn went to the doctor today, for what looked like strep, but turned out to be viral. I've decontaminated my house and we are using sanitizer like crazy. We will keep this bug at bay and hopefully be 100% by next week. We are all resting and Owen has watched Monsters Inc at least twice a day.
Kamryn still has a birthday party with friends coming up and then we'll start preparing for Owen's 3rd Birthday.
Oh.. and Blogher picked a winning number at random from this post...congrats to JC #68! Blogher will be contacting you with details!!
I hope you all had a good start to your New Year!!
5 comments:
Big hugs and love coming your way. One step at a time. Thinking of the whole big picture can be overwhelming. We are praying for you all!
Oh Andrea...I'm so with you right now. We have Maddie's pre-fontan cath set for Feb. 4th, as her cardiologist says, "we're teeing her up for her Fontan". I've been a bunch of nerves too. I can only imagine your feelings, especially with the hope/scares this valve repair brings and with Owen's future surgical path. We know what Maddie's is so the "what if's" are fewer than what you're probably going through right now. Know that Owen and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers. Wished we lived closer, we could vent, cry, worry, and bounce this off of one another together :) Heart hugs to you!
A little confused...JC posted twice back to back, and a couple others bosted twice above her. Is she really the winner?
oh my goodness, andrea, i totally understand how you are feeling. it is so hard to think about our babies having open heart surgery, while at the same time, it is such a privilege that we even have the option! we will be praying, and hoping to see you in february.
lots of love,
victoria
My little girl needs her valves replaced some time hopefully not soon. At Primary's in Utah, they just did a valve replacement through a cath procedure. No open heart! I hope this can maybe be an option for Owen. It was on the news too. It's exciting that he has improved enough to have this option.
Becca-Ellie's mom
Post a Comment