Sunday, March 7, 2010

Creative Play

I love it when kids get away from their electronic gadgets and just play. I remember playing house, jumping on the trampoline, riding my bike, going on adventures in the neighborhood with my friends and just having fun! We never sat inside, watched tv, lived on the computer (we didn't even have a computer until I was 10), or played video games. Times have definitely changed.

About 18 months ago, we got rid of cable. Since then, Kamryn hasn't watched tv at all, with the exception of my reality shows. She will play Wizard 101 or other games on the laptop, or play her DS, but it's nice to not have her plopping in front of the television all afternoon. When her friends (or cousins) come over, I try to get them to PLAY, rather than just sit down with their DS's or sit at the computer.

We are a big game playing family. We have almost every single board game out there. Our closet is stacked with games. We love to chill in our pj's on a Friday night and just play games together. I love those moments with my kids (except for when Owen destroys the board setup), and hope that they will continue when the kids get older.

Gigi was here on Saturday evening and after the girls played Hide and Seek Tag through the house, they suddenly got silent. I came to check on them in the family room and this is what I found....They were playing Statue. One girl had to be perfectly still, like a statue, while the other one decorated them with toys. This went on for about an hour. Perfect. Quiet. I got dinner made with no interruptions.
Where was Owen during this hour?? He was sitting on the bottom step of the stairs and refused to come down. I have been teaching him to climb the stairs, but he has only mastered one stair so far. He is just so proud of himself that he stays on that one stair until I make him get down.

Me: "Owen, are you ready to come off the stair yet??"

Owen: "Noooooooo!!!" "Nooooooo!!" Then he proceeds to ignore me and watch his Yo Gabba Gabba movie. Hey, I didn't say I was against tv all together. I think a good hour of Yo Gabba Gabba and an occupied toddler is great for my sanity!!
We had a great weekend and we have a busy week ahead of us! Today was Karlee's (niece) 16th and Jon's (nephew) 12th Birthday Party. They are growing up so fast and are the sweetest kids. We have another party on Friday night, so I'll get some pictures then.

Tomorrow is Owen's cardiology appointment, so I will update more then. Happy Monday!!

5 comments:

Kathy said...

OH my goodness...Owen and Isaac HAVE to meet. They could both sit on the steps, watch Gabba Gabba, and play that LOUD toy together (we have it too)...

Kamryn seems like the best big sister...Owen's one lucky guy!

I need to cancel our cable...i have to many couch potatoes...(i'm included in that)

I hope you have a good card visit.

Crystal said...

Those are so cute!! Love the game!!!

And Yo Gabba Gabba is HUGE in Bentley's eyes too. The girl loves her some Yo Gabba Gabba... and they so deserve to get to watch it a bit. ;)

Hope the appointment goes well!!!

TrishAnderson said...

I love it when kids come up with their own crazy games. I have to agree with the 1 hour of time for an occupied toddler. When my girls are all at school, it is either I entertain Brendon with a movie or he has to be on top of me and I can not get anything done. Looking forward to the cardiology update.

Tasha said...

Yo Gabba Gabba rocks. I think we should watch some this morning...that or Ice Age 3, which is another hit in our family.

So glad to see Owen is proud of his stair climbing...you gotta take pride in every little thing!

Pete, Ali, Charlie and Rosie said...

Love the pics of Owen on the stairs... but you might have a problem if you want to make it into a 'naughty step' like they do on the TV, because he seems to really like sitting there!
Hope all went well with the cardiology appointment - will be watching out for your update.