Saturday, February 12, 2011

Post Op Day 2

Owen had a great night!!! He rested most of the early evening. He needed the rest as he had such a rough day. At around 8pm, he woke up and said "where Dada go?" I told him Daddy went back to the RMH and to get dinner. "Otay mama." I asked him if he was in pain and he said "no.. im otay." He really liked his nurses and so around 9:30, I asked him if it was ok if I went to get some sleep. "Otay mama, ni night.. I zuv u."

Could he be more sweet?? He has blown me away with his maturity and understanding in this situation. He's hasn't whined unless he's in serious pain and he asks for medication. As soon as he gets it he is calm. He talks to all the nurses so sweet. His night nurse said that he slept like a rock with zero sedatives or pain meds. He only woke up once when she changed his diaper and he said "tant you," and drifted back off to sleep. My heart is so full of love for this little man.

I dropped off Carson at the hospital this morning so he could spend a little time with Owen before he left for home. I ran some errands and did laundry while I could. Owen was sound asleep when I arrived at 8:30am. He woke up around 9:30 and has been watching cartoons and relaxing. I took this photo this morning while he was resting.

This is Owen's monitor that I have to convince myself is not there, otherwise I stare at it all day.

The top number is his heart rate.. the red number is his blood pressure.. the blue number is his RA pressures read from this IJ line in his neck (that goes to is heart) ... the turquoise is his oxygen sats (on 4 liters at the time)... I have no idea what the white number is for... the bottom number is his LA pressures read from his line in his hand (threaded to his heart). All of his numbers are perfect (for him)!!! The blue tube off to the right is his high flow oxygen tubing. The IV in his neck goes all the way to his RA to read his pressures and is used to administer Milrinone and Dopamine. Owen has two IV's in his right art, one peripheral IV and one is his ART line. The LA line goes in through his chest to his heart. He has pacer wires are in his tummy to his heart (preventative) and he has one chest tube that is barely draining.
The plan for today is to feed him again, which he is tolerating well so far. Wean him off of the IV meds (dopamine and milrinone) and get him on all oral meds. We'll manage his pain, but not sedate him so he can sit up in bed, eat a little and watch movies. Whoa this day has been flying by! His nurses have all been SO incredible... Owen is spoiled with the amazing care he is receiving.

Tomorrow, we will pull most of his lines. His chest tube will be pulled. We'll take him for a wagon ride and get outdoors. It'll be a more active day tomorrow. I am so in awe of how well he is doing at only day 2 post op!! It's incredible.

Kamryn is doing so well with everything back home. We talk every morning and at night. Last night she was asking about the Tricuspid valve repair and I was explaining it to her. She stopped me half way and said "are you talking with your hands? I can picture you telling me while doing hand motions!" She cracks me up. And YES.. I was talking with my hands.. I am animated like that. She is excited to see Daddy today and they have some fun plans for the weekend! She has been thrilled with her brother's progress and can't wait to see him.. obviously.

Ok. It's almost lunch time. Geez, time goes by so fast in ICU. It's been a great day so far!! I am already missing Carson and I miss Kamryn like crazy. We'll be home soon. I just know it!

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Precious Owen. Reading these updates brought back so many memories of my own days there with Anna. My heart goes out to you and my prayers are going up for all of you. I pray God's perfect peace will overwhelm you, and that the joy of your eternity with Jesus will carry you through these difficult days.

I hope today is a good recovery day.

That little guy is amazing. To be able to wake up and say "Tant you" in the midst of his discomfort just proves his heart is beautiful.

Love,
Lynnette

Nancy said...

What an awesome report!!! I felt so bad for Owen yesterday and the rough day he had, but it sounds like he's doing great today. I am so excited! Continuing to pray for you all!

Nancy

Danna said...

Amazing! What an answer to prayers! I will continue lifting you up in prayers!

Pete, Ali, Charlie and Rosie said...

Great news! So glad Owen had a better day today - he's doing AMAZINGLY well. Keep up the good work, little man! We are thinking of you all so much - love and hugs from across the pond xxx

The Davis Family said...

It sounds like he is doing so great! I am so happy to hear they didn't need the replacement valve. I am continuing to pray for a quick recovery and successful surgery!!

Mari said...

The sun is shining upon you all!
Have a continued beautiful healing day!

Tasha said...

Gooo OWEN!!! You are such a rockstar! I'm so impressed. Good job to Mama and Daddy for taking such great care of him, and kudos to big sister for being strong for him from afar. You have an amazing family. ((HUG))

Melissa said...

Praying for a speedy recovery so your family can be together again. Owen is such a sweet boy!

Brooke said...

Oh my. He sounds like the sweetest boy ever! I am sure his nurses love him. What a sweetheart for thanking them for caring for him. I am so happy he is doing so well!! Thanks again for the updates.

g-ma-vicki said...

My big boy and my buddy, gtandma loves you. I miss you but I am so proud of you, so grown up! The nurses sure do love you too and what an amazing sweet and polite little man you are and SO BRAVE! Gigi says she loves you and can't wait to play with you and bo bo. A surprise Valentine box of some fun stuff was sent FedX so you get it on Monday by 3. Kisses. Hugs. Love you!

Ainsley said...

Hi, the white numbers on his monitor are his respirations. The 24 means he is breathing 24 counts per minute. Hope that helps. Praying for Owen to be free of pain and moving around soon. You are a great mommma!