Sunday, February 13, 2011

Successful Day

Owen had his IJ line pulled.. the one in his neck. That was horrible! They had to cut the stitches in his neck and pull it out and geez he was in pain! He hates tape being pulled back and I can't imagine having that on my neck. It feels good to be rid of it.

They wanted to keep Owen's ART line in one more day so they can draw labs from it in the morning. Then we can pull it. I'm pushing for the chest tube to get pulled too. Then he'll just have two iv's left.

The echo today looked a little better so we are confident we have the fluid off of him and we have his diuretics figured out. He is on all gtube medications, no more IV meds. He's off of Morphine and we manage his pain with a little Toradol and Tylenol.

Owen was excited for his wagon ride all day long. We finally got in the wagon around 6pm and he was so upset. He hated it! He kept pointing backwards and saying "bat to bed... my moom... night night... go home." He was just not digging it. We made it the shortest wagon ride ever.

We will definitely move up to the floor tomorrow. I'm literally begging for a private room. They have "the pod" up there and they have 4 beds in one room. I refuse to go there and will throw a tiny fit if they try to put him there. He needs rest and there is just no way to rest in that environment.

I don't know what would keep us here past Tue or Wed. He's eating, tolerating his Gtube feeds, on all oral meds, and on his home oxygen regimen. After these last iv's are out tomorrow and his chest tube is gone... there is no reason to stay. They'll do another echo on Tuesday morning to make sure everything looks good still, but I'm pretty sure we'll be flying back home before we know it. Dr Hanley said to plan for a 7 day recovery and I think we might beat that!

I'll post more tomorrow with a few pictures. We painted, colored, played iPad, watched movies and played with balloons today. Now.. it's time to climb in bed with my little man and snuggle. Night.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a Wonderful World.

I'm thrilled.

with Love and Hope,
~ Chhris A ~

Andrea Gunnell said...

It's so wonderful to hear he is recovering so quickly. Great news!

Caryn said...

Yeah!
And seriously I'm gonna send you a picture of me in ConOps- I look miserable and tired and Braden is passed out on me after 36 hours of no sleep. Lol.

Keep up the good recovery work O!

Pete, Ali, Charlie and Rosie said...

Way to go Owen! So pleased you are getting those lines out - only a few more to go now! Keep up the good work and you'll be home before you know it! Love and big hugs all the way from Wales! x

Wright Family said...

I bet he will enjoy wagon rides better once that pesky chest tube is out! I am so glad Owen is recovering so quickly! It has to be such a relief. We will continue to pray for your sweet boy!

Jen Wright

Just Jen said...

God is not done with Owen yet! He has great plans for your little boy!

Jenny said...

I'm glad to hear things are going so well! Keeping Owen in our thoughts and prayers for a continued swift and smooth recovery!

joye said...

So glad everything is going so well!!

g-ma-vicki said...

Nothing less than a Miracle! I LAUGHED when you said "a tiny fit"; for all you heart moms out there...I doubt Andrea or any of you would even know a tiny fit. You are all like mama lionesses... and I think a great deal of all out ROARING will ensue if Owen was assigned to a pod.

Carinne said...

So glad for the positive progress! I would throw a MAJOR fit over the pod; Ash was in it when he had his heart cath and had to stay overnight; it was awful and the nurse was worse!