Thursday, February 3, 2011

I Wish...

I wish to be... I wish to go... I wish to meet...
Owen has been approved for a wish through the Make-A-Wish foundation!! No parent wants their child to have a life-threatening illness, but it's organizations like this one that bring alot of happiness into their journey.

This year is going to be a challenging one for Owen. We will spend many days in the hospital, he will endure two open heart surgeries (at least) and he will probably have additional MRI's and at least 2 cardiac Cauterizations. I want him to have a little something amazing and exciting to look forward to at the end of it all. His wish to come true!

We don't want to influence his wish or decision in anyway. When I ask him what he would wish for.. he says "Meet Buzz Woody". We have at least another 4-6 weeks until the wish granters come out to meet Mister Owen and talk to him about his wish. He's going to love all the attention!

I love the little message they sent us in the welcome packet. "Let your child do the wishing. Children wish so beautifully -- all by themselves!" I agree. He may wish for a stuffed buzz doll, a trip to the magic kingdom, or a visit to the beach. It's all up to him.

Originally, I wanted to wait until he was older and could really appreciate this opportunity. Then I was smacked with the hard reality that, tomorrow is not guaranteed. We must live in the moment and that's what we will do!

I am so excited for Owen to have this opportunity and I can't wait to watch his wish come true!

10 comments:

Mary said...

This is so special and he sure does deserve it. Have fun wishing little buddy!

Andrea Gunnell said...

Yay! Not only does Owen deserve it, but you deserve to see him so happy when he has a wish come true! Very cool!!!

The Davis Family said...

I know what you mean about wanting to wait until they are older. But like you said, he will go through so much this year I think he REALLY deserves it. I am excited to find out what he picks!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this. I guess I always thought Make a Wish was cool, but never found what they do so moving until this HLHS journey got thrust on us. Tears well up as I think about people intent on doing something so special for Owen and his family. I'm so glad you have this to look forward to after the LPCH trip.

We'll be reading and praying...

Rolf and Trish

Becky (So Very Blessed) said...

Congratulations, Owen!! Yay! I'm so happy for him! I can't wait to hear what he ends up deciding on for his wish!

Nancy said...

How very special that Owen will be granted his wish this year. You said it perfectly - after going through so much, he deserves something to look forward to. I'm so excited for him and can't wait to see what "wish" he finally decides on!

Prayers for you this coming week, my friend!

Mimi said...

I am so excited for you Owen!!! WISH BIG!!!

How exciting!

Andrea,

I did not know his surgery was coming up... aaahhhh! I wished I lived closer, I would come hang out in the waiting room with you...and paint your nails- not that I am good at painting nails.

One of these days we will get to get together and have our heart babies have a play date!

I really need to figure out google reader because I miss so much!

Ellingsons said...

Oh this makes me so happy! I can just imagine his big smile when his wish comes true. He is amazing!! My thoughts and prayers will be with you all as the time inches closer and closer for the big day.

Victoria Nelson said...

so great! cant wait to see what mister owen wished for!
praying for a smooth trip to stanford...
love,
victoria

Jen said...

I am sitting here crying with joy. I remember emailing you months and months ago asking if you guys had thought about this. After working with the Make a wish foundation. It will be amazing, I am so very happy for your whole family!