Thursday, December 3, 2009

A Lil' Update

While Kamryn is away, Owen will PLAY, with her game that she forgot to save.
We have been home bound the last few days because Owen has been puking non-stop. Oh how I wish the pukes would stop. Ugh. It's not any worse than it has been, I think I'm just DONE with cleaning puke out of my hair, changing his clothes, taking showers and washing towels. We have an appointment with GI on Tuesday and I'm pretty sure it won't help at all. Maybe just start him on Prevacid to help with the acid. Big Sigh.

Why does Owen puke you ask? It could be that he is getting fed 20 of the 24 hours in a day in order to pump in the 1300 calories his little body needs to gain weight. It could also have something to do with his heart failure. It could be the massive doses of seven medications he takes around the clock. It could also be formula intolerance. How do we figure it out? We don't.

The great news is that he recovers quickly after he does puke. His eyes get bloodshot, his little body shakes and his lips turn blue while he's puking, but after wards he says "ah dun" and goes about his business.
Oh and guess what?? He's gaining weight!!!! He's up to almost 26lbs, which is a pound in the last month.
Owen started Speech Therapy today, in addiction to PT, OT and Feeding therapy. He really likes his therapist and he showed off ALL of his communication skills in the first 20 minutes. She then said "why am I here?" HA. His speech has taken off the last couple of weeks!
We are enjoying our Arizona winters which means, 67 and perfect. I take Owen to the park everyday to swing on our way to pick up Kamryn from school. Owen and Kamryn have a little sniffle, but if that's all they catch this winter, I'll be thrilled.

Tomorrow, Owen goes in for his 2nd dose of H1N1, RSV and some immunization catch-ups. More on that tomorrow, plus a much needed post on Kamryn!

If you didn't see the post below.. it's a blog re-design tutorial. I'll create a button and put it in the sidebar so you can come back to it anytime you want. It's time consuming.. but SO much fun... maybe on a snowy wintery day when you have nothing better to do.

3 comments:

Wendy said...

Ugh, I so get the pukes Andrea. Chris has reflux and has been a bucket o vomit puker since he was born. He's on 15mg twice a day of prevacid (fast tabs - they taste like strawberry so he can take them orally in tab form), and he also takes 1ml of domperidone 4x a day. This helps. Hasn't resolved it, but it helps. I have to run his feeds slow and we fight to get in 1200mls a day for weight gain too...and it's slow. If he's sick, forget it every cough he vomits. We tried losec and zantac and found the prevacid works best...but check with the pharmacy...we've had major med juggling because it eliminates the stomach acid and makes it harder for other meds to be absorbed. :(

Good luck!
Wendy

PRAY4CALLIE said...

I know exactly how you feel, when it comes to the puking. Callie has been a puker since 6wks. old. Some days are good days and then some days she will just puke and puke. We have it down to a science now, we almost always know when she is going to blow and rush her to the sink. But, it defiently gets old fast and is very frustrating. Callie gets Zantac and follows GI. But, they have just told me I haveto live with it!!! Yuck! Callie doesn't have reflux either! But, good luck and I will be praying that the puking backs off and gives Owen and you a break.

TrishAnderson said...

He is looking so good. I love those pics. The weather is nice - a little cold today as I type (our heater actually kicked on for the first time this morning - wow!). I will even take the cold cloudy weather over the heat stroke of the summer. Merry Christmas!!!!