Wednesday, October 28, 2009

GREAT RESULTS!!!!

After only 2 1/2 hours in the cath lab, my pager beeped. My first thought was, this can't be good, as they led me into a small conference room. The cath lab cardiologist came in and said... and I quote... "We're finished! It couldn't have gone better! His pressures are beautiful, pretty close to perfect for Glenn* pressures. I'm not sure if it's the medications, or if it was something we did in the cath, but we were surprised. With pressures like these, at close to 4 yrs of age, these are Fontan* pressures good! His heart function is mild-moderately decreased, not aweful. "

*Fontan is the third stage surgery for HLHS kids. Owen's heart pressures and function were not good enough to tolerate this surgery, and may still not be. Only time will tell. What this means is that, transplant could be in a more distant future!!!

After jumping up and down, and maybe screaming a little, I was brought back to recovery to see Mister Owen. He was happy until he saw me and then he lost it. Poor guy. He was so sad and in pain. He had wraps keeping his legs straight, so he didn't bleed out of the cath sites in his groin. An IV and board on his right arm, and a blood pressure cuff on his left arm.

After an IV dose of Fentanyl, he was feeling groovy. I left to go grab some lunch and found Victoria, Moriah's mom. She was so sweet to help me with Owen, push the stroller to his post op room in the "short stay area". It was great to meet you Victoria and we can't wait to meet Moriah!!

We were brought to a tiny little room that we share with patients getting IV infusions. On the way, Owen's left groin bled out... everywhere. He was in pain and screaming as the nurse was applying pressure to his already sore leg to stop the bleeding. I couldn't hold it and it was just plain aweful. He was given Motrin for pain, some chicken broth and just now started his Pediasure.

I just signed the consent to get Owen a big bed so that I can cuddle him tonight. We should have this room to ourselves tonight and be discharged first thing in the morning.

I am still smiling from our great cath results! We'll meet with Dr Rosenthal in the morning and hear the next plan of action. I'm pretty sure H-O-M-E is what's next, and in time for Halloween!!

Thank you for all your prayers and love! We met another family in the operating waiting area, their little girl, Abigail, was flown here from Salt Lake and had a pretty big open heart surgery this morning. Keep this sweet family in your prayers. It was 21 months ago, but I still remember the feeling of sitting in the waiting area during Owen's first open heart surgery like it was yesterday.

((HUGS from Palo Alto))

39 comments:

Caryn said...

Yeah! Hugs back from Gilbert!

Denise said...

Great news! I know you can hardly wait to get back home. Will you and Owen be driving alone?

To Be or Not to Be said...

I hope tomorrow brings you even more pleasant news. Sounds like today's outome was just about as good as you could have expected and more. love ya, Siri

Wendy said...

That is absolutely wonderful news about his pressures! Wow! I am doing a happy dance for you guys! ((hugs)) to Mr. Owen and hoping you get the big H word tomorrow!

Sue Anne said...

Yeah! So glad to hear everything went so well with the Cath! Here's hoping you can go home for Halloween!

Alisha said...

Awesome news!!! I hope that you guys are homeward bound tomorrow!

Stephanie said...

Awesome news! Hope you two get some good cuddle time tonight and lots of rest. Hugs back to ya!

Wright Family said...

Oh thank God! It is nice to see that you got good news today. You guys deserve it so much!

Kaidence's Mommy said...

What a blessing! I am so happy that things look so great. We had to put off listng K for a heart in the begining, because her prssure were much to high to get a new heart. They basically told us that it would just blow out the new heart. Hers also took a turn for the better after mediction. I am sure that you are just in heaven at the moment. What a blessing!!!
Now if Miss K's has a great result like that in two weeks, I will be jumping for joy also.
So glad that your day turned out so great and that Mr Owen is doing so well!

Chris A said...

*****!!!!FANTASTIC!!!!****

with Hope,
~ Chris A ~

All About M.E.('s) said...

Yay!!!

Autumn said...

YAY!!!!! I am so happy to read this news. Brings tears to my eyes, chills down my spine and a smile on my face! Mr. Owen has a smile that lights up the world. I pray that the next move tomorrow is HOME for you guys!

cici said...

Yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!
SO happy! Bestest news of the week!
Extra big hugs for you two!

Aimee Hardy said...

We're jumping for joy with you! That is just the best news ever. Way to go Owen!

Kristi said...

Oh my gosh, I'm so happy for you guys. Yippee. This made my whole day. What great news.
We'll keep the prayers headed your way. Yea Owen!!!!

S Club Mama said...

I am so happy there are tears. Thank God he is doing so well. Can't wait to hear that you're on the road for home. :)

g-ma-vicki said...

Our Father in Heaven has given this family a great gift...the gift of time! I have caled half the world and Facebook got a workout today! Can't wait
until you tie up loose ends and I can hug my BUDDEEE! Andrea, you are one terrific mamma; now you can let your mind rest. Love Mom

Andrea Gunnell said...

Wow, great news!!! I'm so glad to hear you will be able to come home for Halloween.

Summer said...

WOW!!!!! Way to go Owen!! So glad you received good news!!!
loves, Mason's Mommy

Allison said...

Wonderful news!!!!! Is it possible that Owen might be able to handle an early Fontan then? I am so excited for you guys! I hope Owen is kept free from pain and that you can both sleep tonight!

Tara said...

Wonderful News!! I hope yall get to go home tomorrow..
Good Job Owen!!

Greg and Heidi said...

Chills. . . I have tears and chills! So good to hear.
Much love-
Heidi

Mindi said...

Hooray! I can't wait to hear what they'll recommend as next steps. I am so glad for this HUGE victory!

xoxo,
Mindi

Melodie said...

Huge sigh of relief when I read your post title. I'm so happy for your family. Way to go little man! :)

One Happy Heart Family said...

WOOT WOOT WOOT OWEN!! We love you little guy! I am SO SO SO excited you got a GrEaT report! Back home soon (crossing fingers) I am so glad he got a wonderful report. YEA YEA! You are such an awesome heart Mom! Lots of love!

Ben and Robbie and family said...

Andrea, I ALWAYS read your blog, but rarely take the time to comment. I just have to say that I AM THRILLED about today's news. It absolutely made my day. I've never met little Owen, but I absolutely ADORE him, and think he has the cutest smile in the world. I am just so happy for all of you that you got some good news. Here's to a Happy Halloween! I hope you make it home!
Love, Robbie

allison said...

awesome, prayers are answered!!!

Me said...

Oh my goodness what amazing news!!!!!! I am so happy for you guys!! What a wonderful miracle. I couldn't go to bed until I checked up on sweet little Owen. I am so glad that you will be able to be home for Halloween and I am sure the rest of the family is also. I am just so happy for you guys. Much love, Hilary cook

Kathy said...

AWESOME! I had such a great feeling about today!!!
Glad to hear such awesome news!
and a big bed...oh, he'll LOVE snuggling his mama tonight!

Sweet dreams to both of you!
Kathy

Pete, Ali, Charlie and Rosie said...

That's terrific news! I'm so pleased Owen's cath went well - we've been thinking of you all so much. Way to go Owen! Hoping you're on your way back home really soon. X

Melody said...

Great news! Thank you Lord for answered prayer! Way to go Owen!!

Unknown said...

I held my breath reading your email last night, was so nervous!! I am so very happy for you and your family- that is beyond excellent. The prayers are obviously working. :)

Aim said...

I am Abigail's aunt, I happened here from the link on Abby's blog. I have just discovered this amazing group of Heart patient Mom's and Dad's that I didn't know existed. I'm so glad that things went well with Owen, he is adorable. I can't even imagine what you have gone through. Our thoughts and prayers will be with him as well as Abby.

Ellingsons said...

Yeah!!! I was so happy to read the title and even happier to read all about it. I hope you guys get back in time for Halloween so the Tin Man can get some good loot!

Anonymous said...

great news! We're very happy for you! and cool that you got to meet Victoria!

Rolf and Trish

The Curtis Family said...

I am so relieved! What a blessing! Much love and support coming your way!

---Allison

Jeannie (HAPPY HEART) said...

Thankful for the good report. We will keep praying!! I know you can hardly wait to get back home.

Crystal said...

My goodness... I take a break from my blog and look what I missed. I am so glad everything went well. Praying for my Owen always!!!

Jeff Boulden said...

Congratulations Andi... That's just awesome. We couldn't be more happy for you, Owen and the entire family!