Monday, March 1, 2010

Getting Aquainted

I wanted to switch things up a little bit and write a "getting to know you post". I am great at writing about my kids, our family, and our daily happenings, but I am going to share a little about me.


I was born in the summer of 79 and was quite the little miracle myself. I was born with one polycystic kidney which was removed at birth. I spent the next 30 days in NICU fighting for my life. I was supposed to be small and weak my entire life... whatever happened to that? I spent my early days in Mesa, AZ living in the pool and playing with friends. My sister and I were best friends at only 16 months apart and did everything together. We moved to Utah when I was 10 and stayed there through high school. I was obsessed with dancing, cheerleading and writing on the school paper and the yearbook. I loved to hang out with my friends, who were great examples and never did I have to succumb to peer pressures.


I met my hubby in 98 just a year after graduating high school. I had just moved back to Arizona. It was an instant connection and we fell hard. We were married just 8 months later and had Kamryn 6 months after that. We were a young family, but managed to go to school, work and bought our first home a year after we were married. We were so blessed!!


Then came the infertility that I wrote about here and here. My weight was a struggle for the first time ever and I started breaking out. I was still happy with who I was, but wasn't thrilled with what I saw in the mirror. I was so relieved when I was finally diagnosed with PCOS, so that I knew what to do to fix myself. Without carbs and the help of medications.. I was getting back to the girl I wanted to be (on the outside).


Our marriage had it's up and downs, as any young couple does. We were really young, with a little girl and working our tails off to make ends meet. Carson graduated from college and I started nannying. Kamryn came to work with me and I was so lucky to spend all my time with her, instead of at the office.


When Kamryn started elementary all day, I was really craving another baby. The infertility was kicking my butt and I was done trying so hard. We had tried everything short of IVF or IUI, but couldn't justify getting ourselves into further debt when we were so young. Kamryn would always ask for a brother or sister and we had to tell her that we were TRYING so hard, but it wasn't our choice.

When we finally conceived Owen, it was at such a random time in our lives. We weren't trying to get pregnant. Maybe that's why it worked! That's definitely how it was with Kamryn. Then came the ultrasound. The only words that stick with me til this day was when the doctor came in and said "you're young, you can always try again!" He gave Owen a death sentence in those few words and we were devastated. It only took me about a week to meet with his cardiologist, surgeon and have the peace of mind that all would work out well!


That brings us to today! I am happy. I am healthy, but could be much healthier. Two weeks ago when I got confirmation of PCOS from my new OB, I immediately started back on my Progesterone and Metformin and my diet changed to all proteins. I feel great!! Tired (from lack of carbs), but great!!

My days are spent blending formulas, cleaning up puke (yes, Owen still pukes everyday, just less often), giving meds, taking Kamryn to school, hanging out with Owen's therapists, going to Drs appointments, driving Kamryn to hip hop and ice skating, visiting with friends (online mostly, that needs to change), watching reality tv because I am an addict, running to sonic for a Diet Dr Pepper because I think I'll die without one, planning family vacations, planning menus (bluck), sticking to a very tight budget (bluck, again) and counting down the minutes until my husband comes home!!!


I look forward to finishing college and nursing school. I want to do something I am passionate about and I think it only took me 30 years to figure that out!! I look forward to the day that Owen gets a brand new heart so that he will know what it feels like to be a real boy! I look forward to Kamryn getting to experience her childhood every single day, she finds the best in every situation and I love that about her! I look forward to the day that Carson and I will maybe have another baby. Then, the day that we can grow old and do all those things we always wanted, and haven't had the opportunity to do yet!


I love life!! I feel like pulling my hair out and screaming at least one time a day, but I don't. I love to read all the stories Kamryn brings home in her language folder, the girl has some serious talent! I love to listen to Owen giggle at nothing at all. I love when the kids are in bed and I finally have a moment to lie in bed with my husband and to not have to say a word. I love me.


** I'd love to get to know my readers!! Leave me a comment and a link to your blog! I want to come over and visit and get to know you too!

21 comments:

TIFFANY said...

Hi Andrea! I've been reading/lurking for quite a while and praying for Owen. Your kids are beautiful! It's nice to get to know a little about you too!

Stop by my blog sometime when you have a chance.
www.howaretheharmons.blogspot.com

Pete, Ali, Charlie and Rosie said...

Hello!
I've been reading your blog for some time now (I think I've left a few comments here and there!)
I live in the UK, and my son Charlie has HLHS. He's six now, and will be having his Fontan surgery this month. Eek.
Feel free to check out Charlie's blog at http://charlieturner.blogspot.com
I have another blog for my first son, Will - he was also born with HLHS, but we knew antenatally that he also had a fatal genetic condition called Meckel Gruber Syndrome. Although we were told he was 'incompatible with life' I carried him to term and we had fifteen precious minutes with him. His blog is at http://our-son-will.blogspot.com
I love to see how Owen is getting on - the connection between us heart mums is pretty strong... even when we're on different continents!

Heather said...

That is so cute! Great idea! I feel like I only knew you in Jr High & High School, not before, and not after, now I do! You are the most positive person I know! Your outlook on life in inspiring! xoxo

♥Jess♥ said...

I've been around for awhile... reading mostly, not commenting to often. I am glad to read this post. It's great to get to know you a little more! You can find my about me type post http://www.cupsofcocoa.com/2010_01_01_archive.html. :)

Becky (So Very Blessed) said...

Hi! I've been reading your blog for quite a few months now and just love getting to know you and your family. My husband and I live in Tucson, so we're not far from you! I'm just addicted to the way you write. You're honest and open about your struggles and triumphs - that's hard to find in people these days! I appreciate you sharing your posts with me so much. :)

http://beckisted2004.blogspot.com/

~Becky~

Andrea Gunnell said...

Yep, you definitely have a talent for writing. I always enjoy reading your blog and of course it was great to finally meet you are Ethan's run.

TrishAnderson said...

Great post. I love keeping tabs on you. You continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.

Cat said...

Hi!
I've been reading your blog for the past 6months or so...and love it! You have a beautiful family! I don't leave comments on the blogs but for whatever reason I did today! I'm a mom of seven little ones under the age of 5! Yes, I think I'm crazy too!! But enjoying them everyday and loosing my mind at least once day!!! Stop by my blog...I started it a couple months ago. www.mottermiracles.blogspot.com

Chrissy said...

I've been reading your blog for over a year. I don't have a blog myself--can't figure out when I would have time to create one. I've commented a few times before. My son is a heart baby, only a few months younger than Owen. He's also had two OHSs, eats by G-tube, and has the pukies. I always feel for you and Owen when you say he's throwing up--we deal with that at my house at the very least once a day, and often more. I swear, sometimes it's harder to deal with that than it is his heart--throwing up is such an obvious sign of sickness that can be seen on the outside.
I look forward to reading your blog and checking up on Owen every day. Thanks for writing it.

Alicia said...

Hi,

I live in your neck of the woods. I have 4 children. I don't find time to blog too to often and wish I could figure out something interesting to blog about. I am also 30 and we married young at 20. I am ready for swim weather and not this yucky rain weather we have been having. I love to here your updates. - Alicia

http://6chads.blogspot.com/

Shay said...

Hi!!!! I am a heart mom with a G-tube baby!!! my little one will be one on the 10th wow how times fly. stop by and say Hi.
http://thepiemontes.blogspot.com/

Theresa said...

Hi! I love reading your story, your family is amazing! That little Owen is such a trooper, that smile could brighten any day!

Stop by when you have a chance! My name is Theresa and I'm a Special Education teacher in NC!

http://tmzimmer1.blogspot.com/

Pam said...

LOVE YOUR BLOG SOOO MUCH!!!

Left you a treat on my blog!!!!!
Doula Mama Pam

Loni said...

I loved this post! It's perfect for me (bet you didn't know that when writing it!) I posted on my blog last week that I needed to join in the commenting love on the blogs I read. I have been reading for quite some time and have NEVER left a comment, rude huh? Well that ends today on this blog, and this was a great post to do it on! I love reading your blog and hearing about your day to day life. Your children are beautiful and Owen is an amazing little boy.
I am glad the blended diet is working better for Owen (and you!) and can't wait for the day that he gets his new heart!

Tara said...

Great post!!
I have been following for some time...

http://kennedimegan.blogspot.com/

Waite Family said...

Hi Andrea,

I have been reading your blog for about a year now. I love your little Owen! His smile is so adorable. I have a little sweetheart baby of my own. My Joshua is HRHS with a few other problems thrown in. He had his Glen done in June. Your daughter is beautiful. She reminds me of the little girl in each of us. I think we heart moms all cheer and pray for each other. I pray for your family each day. You inspire me and I love to read your blog. Our address is neilandsarahwaite.blogspot.com

Thanks for sharing your family with us. We are thinking of you and praying for Owen's new heart here in Wyoming. Sarah

Nancy said...

Hi, Andrea! My hubby and I have followed your blog for a year or so now, and Owen reminds us so much of our 22 month old, Caleb. Owen has such a beautiful smile and a great personality!

We have a little heart sweetheart, Rebekah. She has Truncus Arteriosus and several other issues. You can see her at http://rebekahgraceellis.blogspot.com

Jen said...

Hi there! I'm just another one of your "silent followers!" Love that you spent some time to talk about yourself, we moms forget to do that quite often! Your kids are so cute, and little Owen is such a fighter. My son has a chronic lung disease, it seems like the kids that have those extra needs come built in with extra toughness. Love reading your blog!

-jen

groettumfamily.blogspot.com

The Charles Crew said...

hi andrea, i've been lurking for some time as well. owen is such a doll and kamryn is such an amazing big sister! thanks for sharing a little about yourself, it's so nice to get to know the momma behind the blog!
www.charlesboys.blogspot.com
~jamie

Our Family said...

Hi Andrea! I have found your blog through fellow heart mom, Rebecca. My name is Bernie. I have four children, Emily (7), Matthew (5), James (1), and Luke who is an HLHS angel. Luke was born about 2 months after your sweet Owen. I have been keeping up with your family for a while now. Feel free to visit our blog at www.lukeslegacy.blogspot.com. What a great idea!
Bernie

Adam - Janet - Owen - Caroline said...

Hi Andrea! I've been reading your blog for about 9 months now. I got here through Liz D.'s website - she and I are friends. I was immediately intrigued by your site because I too have an Owen and struggled with infertility issues. I'm so glad you switched to a blended diet for O-Man - he's adorable - your whole family is. Praying everything continues to go well with you. Janet

My blog is private, but if you want an invite, I'll send you to you.