Another uneventful night in the CVICU for Mr. Owen. I wish I could say the same for the entire unit. There are four kiddos on ECMO and it was a busy night in here. My heart can't take it. The terrifying cries of parents as their children are on the edge. I've been that mom. I've been there. It's too much. We didn't sleep well. Pray for all these sweet babies.
Owen is doing remarkably well! We have weaned him down to 3 liters of oxygen and keep chipping away at that. Today is a BIG day! We pulled pacer wires, Dialysis drain, 3 IVs and his Arterial line. All meds are switched to oral and he's getting gtube feeds slowly. Chest tubes are coming out within the hour.
Then we are MOVING ON UP to the step down unit!! We won't miss the CVICU at all and are amazed that on day 4, Owen is ready to move back to his home on 3West. It will be good for him!
We talked to the anesthesiologist who took care of him during the big surgery. She said his heart was so congested and his kidneys were taking a big hit... his heart wouldn't have held up much longer. His heart came at just the right time and we are so grateful!!
Today was the first day we physically got out of bed. He is weak and in serious need of nutrition. Heart Failure (for more than a year) has taken it's toll on his body. I am so excited to put some weight on this kid. The bruises will fade as he is no longer on anticoagulants. In a few weeks we should see a much healthier boy.
Today we marvel in his recovery and how BRAVE this boy is!! "Nothing will take me down!"
I"ll update from our new room in a bit!!
7 comments:
I'm curious, if this heart suits Owen well, will it last a lifetime, or will he need further surgeries later in life?
So incredible to think of all he has overcome, especially this year. Sounds like God's timing was spot on to keep his body going. So grateful that the call came in time. I cannot wait to see his health improve with his new heart! Will continue to pray for you and for all the other precious CVICU kids.
I've been following owns story since day one, my son also has the same defect Owen was born with, this is Owens second heart transplant, a transplant is not a fix ora cure and will not last forever, although we all want it to last as long as possible. I've been told it's usually 5-15 years some like Owens only lasted 3 years and a lots go beyond 15 years with the same transplant. Transplant gives a person a new lease of life, a chance and extra time to lead a heathier life with a healthy heart. But is not a cute unfortunately x
Prayers.for a speedy recovery
I am just so amazed at how well his recovery is going. It is so great to see him sitting up and smiling.
Wow! Just incredible! I'm so happy to see him already recovering and getting better!
I'm crying big tears as I'm getting caught up on your week. I am absolutely amazed by Owen. His bravery and optimism is so incredible and inspiring. I am in awe. And I am SO happy that things went so well, although I know how utterly painful and difficult every second of recovery is. I'm so glad you're 5 days out and he is already doing so great!! Owen you're amazing! Keep up the healing! We have been praying ever since he got listed and we won't stop now! I can't wait to tell Bela all about this tomorrow when she wakes up! She will be so happy for him! Lots and lots of love to you!
Post a Comment