Friday, May 11, 2012

Oatmeal Cookies and Homeade Pizza

Once again, it is Friday and I am wondering where in the world did my week go??  Kam had pink eye Monday and today came home early from school with no voice and feeling exhausted.  Owen had all his therapies and did fantastic.  He did a cognitive concepts test with Speech over the last three months and graded average to above average in all areas.  He rocked it!!  He is progressing so quickly for being "home" schooled and I guess all the Superhero movies are teaching him something. Ha! 

Owen has been begging to "Tooking" with me, so we baked the best Oatmeal cookies on the planet!!  I buy the Coach's Oats from Costco and we love them so much!  There is a recipe on the back to die for and I'll share it with you in case you don't have a Costco, or eat oatmeal, or whatever.  They are crispy, chewy and oh so heavenly!!


1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup butter
1 egg
1tsp vanilla
1 tbsp milk
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp double acting baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup Coach's Oats (which are Steel Cut oats)
1 cup shredded coconut

Preheat over to 350 degrees.
Cream together butter and sugars for about 30 seconds. 
Beat in egg, vanilla and milk.  Milk just til smooth.
In a separate bowl sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
Add the dry to the wet ingredients and beat, careful not to over mix. 
Add oats and coconut. 
This is where I also mix in chocolate chips, pecans or raisins.  YUM!!

Drop by rounded teaspoons onto an ungreased cookie sheet or parchment paper.  Bake for 12 to15 minutes until golden brown.  Makes about 3 dozen cookies.
After the cookies were done, I let Owen lick the spatula for the first time ever and he loved it!!  Then it was time to get Dinner started and Owen chose Pizza.  He loves to beat the dough and roll it out.  Kam usually gets her fingers dirty as well, but she is sick so no cooking tonight for Sis. 
Here is our creation before it went into the oven.  It smells so delightful right now baking in the oven.  I'll give you my quick and easy pizza dough recipe that I found years ago on allrecipes.com.  It's so simple.  I buy the pre made pizza sauce and we are Hawaiian pizza fans around here.  You can really make any kind of pizza you want.   PS.. the dough is not wet.. I just brush the crust with Olive Oil.

1 .25oz yeast packet
1 tsp white sugar
1 cup warm water (110 degrees)
2 1/2 c bread flour (or all purpose)
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
Dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water and let proof.
Add flour, olive oil and salt and beat until smooth.
Let it rest on the warm oven for five minutes.
Knead dough for five minutes (I let my Kitchen Aid do the work here)
Set on warm oven to rest for 15 minutes.
Roll out on floured surface with roller and place on pizza stone.
Decorate pizza.

I always use pre jarred sauce.
Then Canadian bacon, pineapple and fresh grated mozzarella cheese. 
Cook 15 to 20 minutes
Let cook 5 minutes and ENJOY!!

I always serve with a side salad to make it seem healthy!!! 

I hope you all have a fabulous Mother's Day!! Kick your feet up and enjoy being celebrated!

No comments: