Owen still sleeps ALOT and when he is awake, he prefers to veg out rather than play on the floor and get physical. I decided that his toys were to "babyish" and bought him a BUNCH of toys that require a little more attention. When he is awake, I put a blanket out on the floor and we do the same things that his physical therapist does while she's here. We practice rolling, sitting, tummy time (which he HATES) and after about 10 min he's D-O-N-E! I don't know what to do... I don't want him to sleep all day, but I also realize he only has 1/2 a heart that doesn't function so good and he's probably just exhausted! I figured I would sneak playtime into the day even when he's laying down just taking a break. While I'm cooking, doing dishes or drawing up meds, he usually just chills in his bouncy seat and plays with a chew toy. I figured an exersaucer would at least require more of him physically to hold up his head and interact with the toys. I found this one on Craigslist for $30!! He can't hold himself up so I have to prop him with a blanket and he can't figure out how to support himself and play with the toys yet. I keep reminding myself... he is growing leaps and bounds and I just have to give him time! My little guy is growing up so fast... sometimes I wish I could stop time and enjoy the NOW a little more.


7 comments:
Parker sleeps ALOT too!! I feel like there isnt enough awake time for him to learn how to do stuff! But he is slowly learning things. We are working on pushing up on his arms while on his tummy!! We are starting to think about physical therapy...do you recommend it??
cute pict! Love the smile!
Give him time, he will soon be all over. I know it's hard to wait though.
Have you tried a bumbo chair with him? It will give him a whole new take on the world and if you put an activity gym in front of him he can bat at toys. Rhett LOVED doing that.
Another thing too, Rhett ALWAYS hated being on his tummy. Before surgery it was because it made him way too tired, and after surgery it was because it just wasn't comfy.
Still to this day he HATES being on his stomach. Once he was able to get up on his hands and knees, and not be flat on his stomach he did much better. He never crawled though.
We also found that if we put him on his tummy on Andy or I while we were in the recliner, or propped up in bed on pillows he did better. I think it really just put too much pressure on his heart. Even his PT decided that it wasn't worth it to do traditional tummy time.
I am not sure where you live, but I have an extra set of the Baby Signing Time CD's. I have already promised the DVD's to someone else, but I could send you the CD's and you could learn the songs so when you rent them from the library you can learn the signs, and as time goes on start signing with him. We would run the CD's over and over while Rhett was sleeping and sing the songs as well as do the signs with him when he was awake.
Good luck, and email me if you want those CD's.
mom2rhett@hotmail.com
Carla hated tummy time too, and because of it we just didn't do it. It was just too hard on her. She raised her head for the first time when she we 6 and a half months, after that it was all down hill. I'm sure it will be the same for Owen with is food. Now that he is tasting food, before you know it he will be pounding it down like a big dog!
Jen
Owen looks so wonderful. I am sure having only 1/2 of a heart would make him sleepy more often, but I also understand you wondering if he is getting enough "play" time. I am sure that in time he will be running around like every other little boy. I agree Andrea that he is growing up so fast. He really does look good and I think he looks so healthy. I am so happy for you that you are home all the time now.
Keisa
Cute photo. Again, Owen and Gracie seem like they have A LOT in common. Gracie sleeps a lot too and gets tired after 10 minutes of therapy too. I guess we just keep plugging along!
Andrea, it was amazing reading your blog. What a good mommy you are! How awesome that you get to stay home now:) I am glad to see you are doing well. Take care of those cute babies. I miss you!!!!! Stevie
Post a Comment