Monday, March 22, 2010

A dentist check-up and updates

Dentist

This morning, at 7:30am, I took both kids in for their six month visit with the dentist. Kamryn went off into one room and I went with Owen to another. The dentist put on his gloves and told Owen to say "AH". He was such a big boy! He let Dr. Welch feel around his teeth and opened his mouth so wide! Then we went to find Kamryn and she was done getting cleaned. Both kids are cavitiy FREE!! Amazing... considering I always had a couple cavities every six months when I was little. I think some kids are just more cavity prone than others. We talked about Kamryn's teeth and set up a consultation with the Orthodontist this Wednesday! I am so excited to start talking about a plan for braces!! My baby is growing up way too fast!

Now for a few updates...

My foot is feeling better. I finally got a call from my doctor's nurse this week and she said that the xray came back with no stress fractures, but there are a few small bone spurs, "no biggie." She said if I continue to feel pain, to call and let them know. My reply was "I'm still in pain." I have no idea what the diagnosis is. Either the pain is lessening, or I am getting used to it. If it's really bad, I take the anti-inflammatory meds and they help. I'll survive.

I finally got a call from Owen's nutrtionist at PCH. I sent them a copy of his food diary (of blended foods) the first week of February. They most definetly don't support a blended diet, but he was very kind and answered all my questions. He offered other formula options and I politely declined. I will never go back to a formula diet. I am 100% positive that Owen's new energy level is attributed to his nutrtion! I am amazed at how much he has changed since I started just 8 weeks ago. I am working on a blog post to share how I blend, what I give him and how his nutrtion has gone from Pediasure in a can, to a complete balanced diet!! If only one person benefits from it... then I will be thrilled!!!

Spring Break was fun, but now that it's over it's time to get my house in order. We're picking up Carson at the airport tonight and we can't wait to have him home!

10 comments:

Loni said...

Just wanted to say I love your updates! :) Your family is so sweet and I love hearing about them.

Sue Anne said...

Do I get a prize for guessing right on what was wrong with your foot? Bone spurs can be corrected surgically, but recovery means being off your foot for as long as it would be if you had broken your foot.

I think you can get socks that are like compression types of things that help with bone spurs.

Tasha said...

I bet you can't wait to give Carson a big hug! I am excited to see what your blended blog entails...see if I can take any things you do and encorporate them with Bree.

The mom of 4 monkeys! said...

I am curious why they are so against the blended food diet? It sounds so good for Owen.

Claire said...

Thank you for the update! I love hearing how you guys are getting on!

Cxx

Kathy said...

Yikes...sorry that you're still having feet pain. I wish they could go in and fix something.

and the dentist? seriously...Owen just opens his mouth. I haven't even taken Isaac yet. I'm thinking we'll need to sedate him just to get a look in that mouth.
and Owen's little face rashes. Poor thing. I think we've tried every cream, foam, and ointment under the sun...and nothing. I wonder if it's just all the meds they're on that makes them so sensitive??

I really am jealous of all the cool things you guys have in Phoenix to go visit. In Vegas...we've got nothing. We could walk through the casino (not good for kids with bad lungs), we do have a tiny children's museum, no zoo....I could drive to the Hoover Dam...but, then what? Just looking over the bridge.
I'm headed out to AZ in May for a conference...I would LOVE to meet up with you guys at the zoo or someplace!
Enjoy your days at the pool!
ecilinf

Chrissy said...

I can't wait to read the post about the blended diet you use with Owen. I want to try using one with Doug, but I'm not even sure how to begin.

esther Glick said...

i second the last comment. Cant wait to hear about the blended diet. My little guy is on pediasure 100% of the time. (yuck!!)) I love, LOVE following Owens journey!!

Wright Family said...

I don't understand why PCH wouldn't want you to do a blended diet. Makes NO sense to me! Good thing you are the Mom and have the right to over ride what they think. He is 2 years old for crying out loud - is it their plan to keep him on formula until he is 26 or something! Good grief! :)

Crystal in IL said...

You go girl! Way to stick to your guns! I believe there are several reasons that doctors don't endorse the blended diet but if you read your mic key instructional booklet it states clearly that it's intended use is for delivering formula or blenderized foods. My daughter is 2 now and after the first year of breast milk I was so depressed that I struggled so hard to pump only to give her that stuff in a can. I have been giving her real food now for a year and it's so rewarding to make her food and know I'm giving her the best nutrition possible :) I'll be watching for that post.