Owen loves to ask us questions about his heart, past surgeries, what's upcoming, and all things medical. I like that he is so involved in his medical care, as much as a four year old can be. He knows that he has half his heart, that he is on a lot of medications, that he requires oxygen constantly and that we travel to Stanford a lot! He also knows that we are going to get him a new heart and all that entails.
The other night, we were talking and I could just tell he was thinking hard. He said.. "Remember when I was a baby and the nurse cut me open?"
Me: Yes son.
Owen: "Well, she dropped half my heart and lost it and now I only have a half left. So we are going to put me on a list and they will say OWEN {yelling} we have a heart for you, and then I will go to Stanford and they will put a new heart in. Then I can be a bigger boy and not need this {pointing to his cannula} or oxygen any more."
Me: Exactly.. well most of it is accurate. Ha.
Owen: "Well.. when does my name get to go on the list? If I take another kids' heart, then they will need my oxygen."
Me: {A very difficult discussion to have for a 4 yr old to understand}
Well, they won't actually need oxygen because the heart comes from a person that is already going to heaven.
Owen: "Oh.. " {his little mind was processing the information, but he didn't quite understand}
Owen: "Okay.. so when will I get my new heart so I can feel better?"
Me: I wish I had an answer. We will hear back from your doctors at Stanford at the end of the month and hopefully know if they are going to put your name on the list yet. Then when they call your name, we will go get your new heart.
I am so grateful that Owen can communicate so well with us and he knows that nothing is off limits. He has been opening up about things a lot lately and while it's hard to come up with age appropriate answers, I try to be as honest as possible. Love this boy. :)
----------------------------------------------------
After receiving these gorgeous flowers from my main man, we celebrated our Anniversary together at the Keg. It was so nice to finally have a date night out! Our waiter asked how many years we were celebrating and when I said 13 years, he replied with "you just don't hear that number anymore." There are many ups and downs in marriage and when you have a sick child the stresses are monumental, but we have made it work. It's about never giving up, communication and compromise. Love you babe!!
Tuesday, June 19, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


7 comments:
Wow! What a kid! And to you, what a mom with some great answers. I can't even imagine having that conversation with a little one. You handled it like a gem. Way to go and know there are people out here thinking and hoping the best for you and Owen!
You handled that SO well! I am amazed with you guys and how involved Owen is and how much he actually understands! and Happy Anniversary to you two!
Wow! That has to be a hard conversation to have with a four year old! Sometimes Kyson asks questions but most of the time he just accepts that he has a cool scar and he will often ask others if they have a scar like him:)
Sweet boy! Bless his precious heart. Praying for a new heart. Owen is one tough little guy! Just like a super hero!
Isn't it crazy when your child's heart defect becomes a little more on them and a little less on you? I'm so glad Owen is talking about it ... I think that is so important! Much love to you all!
That is a pretty big conversation to have. I am sure it tugged at your heart just a bit. Think of you guys often!
Post a Comment