At 9:30 we had an appointment to speak with Dr Hanley. Dr H. was amazing, confident, intelligent and answered all our questions in less than 20 minutes. It was all we could have hoped for. More on that in a second.
We hustled over to the surgery center to get Owen admitted for his MRI. We had a long wait and spent most of the time in the play room. Carson set up Dominos as Owen destroyed them, over and over again. :) We shared the Dominos and continued playing with the Jenga blocks. Seriously, those are going on his Christmas list for sure. He loved them.
Carson was enjoying them just as much, if not more.
We moved into pre-op and Owen wanted nothing to do with the hospital bed. I don't blame him. He was really scared going into the cath lab in September, so we decided that it was time to try the Versed before hand. He was so loopy within minutes. He climbed into the bed and his eyes were so heavy.
And everything was funny. When we finally took him back to anesthesia, he couldn't hold his head up. He didn't fight the mask and was happy to be put under. It's never easy to watch his eyes roll to the back of his head and his limbs go limp. It was much easier knowing that we weren't holding him down while he screamed.
He was in the MRI lab for about 2 hours and was just as loopy coming out of anesthesia in recovery. He kept saying "home". Poor guy just wanted to break out of there. We made a pit stop at Cardiology clinic and talked to the NP, and then headed back to the hotel.
Now for the plan. The purpose of today's MRI is to show Dr Hanley the exact percentage of Tricuspid Valve regurgitation in Owen's right ventricle. As you know, he only has the right ventricle of his heart, so the valve between the atrium and the ventricle (the Tricuspid Valve) is severely leaking. Dr Hanley said on a scale between 0-10 where 10 is the most severe leak, Owen's is about a 7. This is a huge issue. If this wasn't an issue.. we'd be doing the Fontan (the last stage surgery) immediately.
Here's where things get complicated. Owen's right ventricle function (or squeeze of the heart) is showing only mildly decreased now. The problem is that his heart squeeze may be appearing better than it actually is. Right now, the severe valve leak is allowing the blood flow into the ventricle to regurge back to the atrium, allowing less work to the ventricle. If we fix that valve, the ventricle will have more blood volume to pump and the heart function (or squeeze) may get worse.
I added a picture of Owen's heart anatomy above. It helps to visualize it. There is no left side, so the RA (Right Atrium) pumps blood into the RV (Right Ventricle) and the Tricuspid Valve in the pathway. That is what needs repaired first. The blood that passes through there and into the RV is regurging back into the RA. Make sense?
Pending the results of the MRI....
I added a picture of Owen's heart anatomy above. It helps to visualize it. There is no left side, so the RA (Right Atrium) pumps blood into the RV (Right Ventricle) and the Tricuspid Valve in the pathway. That is what needs repaired first. The blood that passes through there and into the RV is regurging back into the RA. Make sense?
Pending the results of the MRI....
Dr. Hanley would like to do an open heart surgery (soon) and repair Owen's Tricuspid Valve. That is the only way we could possibly get him to the Fontan operation. During that surgery, he will need to be placed on heart/lung bypass and he would give the repair a 50% chance of being successful. If he isn't able to repair the valve, he would go ahead and replace the valve with a mechanical valve. Recovery would be fairly quick and the risk is fairly low.
After this operation...
We would pray like crazy that Owen's heart function remains stable or gets better over the next six months. If things go as planned... he would have a chance at a successful Fontan operation next summer and hopefully not require a transplant for a while.
There is a chance that Dr Hanley repairs/replaces the Tricuspid Valve and the ventricle doesn't respond well and he would require an immediate transplant.
If the function decreases, which is an obvious risk, then the Fontan would not be an option and we would move forward with transplant as previously planned.
There is a chance that Dr Hanley repairs/replaces the Tricuspid Valve and the ventricle doesn't respond well and he would require an immediate transplant.
There is also the risk of death... but I won't even consider that as an option.
Why not do the Tricuspid Valve and the Fontan in the same operation?
This was a question that was answered in detail. The obvious benefit would be one open heart surgery, instead of two. The risk is just too high in Owen's case.
During the Fontan, heart/lung bypass is not required, making the recovery much easier. If Dr Hanley were to repair Owen's valve and do the Fontan in the same procedure, he would require heart/lung bypass to work on the valve and the recovery would be much more complicated. Also, as I wrote about earlier, we don't know if repairing the valve will cause his ventricle function to decrease until we do it. If his ventricle function decreases, this will make the Fontan unsuccessful and he would be a very sick little boy.
We left the meeting with Dr Hanley feeling very confident that we are making the right decisions for Owen right now. While we won't know if the tricuspid valve repair will be successful in getting him to the Fontan, we feel like we have to try. A successful Fontan is our ultimate goal.
We should hear from someone in the next week or two and hopefully get a surgery date scheduled (again, assuming the MRI results are positive). Exciting. Scary. Hopeful.
14 comments:
My brain is very tired right now and can't seem to process the description of his heart valve stuff so I will come back and re read tomorrow with fresh eyes, but I wanted to say that you are in our prayers. Big time. ((HUG))
we will pray for the Fontan procedure to happen...take care and God bless!
Oh I am so happy. Love Dr H!!! And Versed if hands down the way to go. It is still the only way to get Braden to do anything more than an Echo, I swear. Enjoy Cali and come home fast!
great job explaining everything Andrea- I'm so glad you posted about it all, been thinking of you all. Such tough decisions but I think Dr. Hanley is giving Owen some great options and it sounds like it's worth the risk for the valve replacement. Will be thinking of you all with all of this new information to process and decisions to make. Hugs to you.
Your doctor sounds fabulous and like he is very confident on the route you guys are going... and its so great to hear the confidence in YOUR words on here!! XOXO
OH my goodness....
You know that Dr. Hanley is MY MAIN MAN...I just love him so much. He does have a plan..and I love the sound of it.
I'm always thinking about you guys and remembering you in my prayers.
I'm glad you guys had a plan and avoided a cath. That's always a good thing. Keeping Owen in our prayers for successful upcoming surgery!
I can't imagine what it must be like to be in your position. It's scary just reading that!
Just know that you have so many people praying for Owen!
I agree with the comment above,it is scary reading what you just posted. This is your son your talking about I am so glad you and your husband feel you are making the right decisions for Owen. I will be praying right along with you.
I was thinking all day yesterday about you guys, hoping the news was good. It sounds at least promising if not great. you, Owen and his doctors are in our prayers often for guidance in this decision as it is a big one.
Now go have some fun at Disneyland!
Thanks for the update, Andrea...we were thinking of Owen all day! He's such a trooper and I'm glad the Versed made the difficult parts a bit easier. I was also so glad to read you guys left yesterday feeling confident in Dr. Hanley and his recommendations. That is so important in decisions like this! Have a safe trip back home!
Wow. What an eventful day! So now the game plan is to wait for a surgery date to try and repair/replace the tricuspid valve? I sure hope it works. I was always under the assumption that kids had to use bypass during the Fontan, though I know that there are 2 different types of Fontan procedures depending on what the surgeon decides to do. Bypass is never fun, but Owen is a rockstar and he will get through this with flying colors!!! I hope that you have a blast playing as a family now that this stressful day is over!
Thanks for the update, Andrea. Sounds like an exhuasting day for sure. So my question is: When do you anticipate getting the MRI results and hearing from Dr. H? Praying for a valve repair, improvement and a clear path to the Fontan. Heart Hugs!
So glad the trip gave you lots of HOPE!! Think about and pray for you and O daily :)
LOTS of LOVE,
Mason's MOmmy
Post a Comment