Saturday, October 2, 2010

Hope Kids Annual Festival

We decided to brave the 108 degree heat on this beautiful fall day and attend the Hope Kids Annual Festival at Notre Dame Prep. The students that volunteered with the face painting, dunk booths, bouncy castles, many food stations, cheer clinics, pottery painting and everything else were incredible!

Owen loved meeting "Big Red", the mascot for the Phoenix Cardinals. His smile cracks me up!
IMG_0301

It was SO hot, but we attempted the bouncy slide, at least once. Kamryn could play on this all day, but it was so hot it burned her legs.
IMG_0303

Carson took Owen on the slide and he was less than amused. Ha.
After dunking a cheerleader in the dunk tank, we headed to the air conditioned cafeteria for some grub. It was so easy to find familiar faces and we sat down to chat. It was great to meet the Lihn's and to chat with the Marchese, Gonce and the Gunnell families. We saw other heart families and friends as well.
IMG_0311
After lunch, we were heading to the choo choo station, but were sidetracked to the pottery painting studio because it was air conditioned. Carson helped Owen make his plate...
IMG_0312

Here's the finished product. Once again... I love this smile!
IMG_0313
Kamryn loves painting pottery so I'm pretty sure this was her favorite part of the day.
IMG_0308
This is her creation. They are going to fire the plates and I'll post them when they're done.
IMG_0314
We headed towards the choo choo train rides, but the lines were insane and have I mentioned that it was HOT? We made our way to the gymnasium and found the reptiles. There had some hissing cockroaches (gross), snakes, lizard things and turtles. I can handle turtles.
After three hours in the heat, we were ready for naptime. We grabbed some cotton candy and frozen yogurt at the exit and the kids were out cold before we hit the freeway. Thank you to Hope Kids for another AMAZING event. We will see you at the State Fair in a couple of weeks!

6 comments:

CandaceW said...

I wanted to say that I used to love coming to your blog and reading about your lovely family and especially following Owen's progress. (I have a heart baby, too)
I saw your recent comment of support on another blog, and it just stunned me that you were in support of someone who plagiarized other writers' work and posted them as her own. Plagiarzing is illegal. I am stunned that you think that is okay. I have to say that I thought much better of you. You seem to otherwise be a great mom. I hope you will teach your kids important lessons such as stealing another person's hard work and then profiting from it is wrong.
I will keep Owen in my prayers.

The Simmons Family said...

Candice.. I'm sure you are speaking of MckMama and I never said I support plagerism. I just told her that I enjoyed her blog. We all make mistakes.. I'm just a person who forgives easily. I try to only look for the good in people and the rest isn't up to me to judge.

Nancy said...

I can't imagine your weather being so hot still! We are in the 70's now, and it is so nice!!

I also love Owen's little crinkle-nose smile. He is just the cutest little guy!!

TrishAnderson said...

Man, if you were that hot I hate to think what the guy in the Red costume must be gong through. Looks like another amazing day!!

Sara said...

I can't imagine living somewhere that hot or how on earth you manage to go to an outdoor event in that heat! It was so cold here a few nights ago that I fell asleep with 4 blankets on and I was wearing my winter hat around the house. Now I'm a big baby anyways in the extreme temps. Hot or cold. Hopefully this winter won't be too bad, we just got a new furnace for the heat this year and were redoing mine and my boyfriend's bedroom and it will be the only one in the 100 yr old house thats insulated!

Wright Family said...

I wish so much we lived in an area with a "heart community". Here in Montana I think Carla is like one of 3 HLHS babies in the state. So cool that you got to spend sime with your heart friends, even if it was in the heat!

Jen