Owen spent the week on the couch or in the restroom. He has been miserable!
I stayed on top of things the first of the week, but by Wednesday, he was just not tolerating even the smallest amount of Pedialyte. We ended up in the ER first thing Thursday morning. His labs showed his creatinine and Potassium were extremely elevated and his med levels were out of control. We gave him a bolus of IV fluids and got him a room on the 9th floor.
We held most of his Thursday meds as they all hit the kidneys pretty hard. By Thursday evening, his Creatinine and Potassium had already dropped in half. Whew. Owen hadn't eaten much for about six days and was down 8lbs. He slept better than he had all week. This morning (Fri), we drew labs and things looked almost back to normal. The only major thing was his lips encrusted in blood since his INR was up to 8. Besides that...he feels human again! He has been eating and tolerating his gtube feeds just fine. I did my best to break out of here today but lost the battle. They don't carry his formula here and they don't have a few of his medications in the hospital... the suggestion was to "go home and get what we need." I'm kinda like.. If I go home to get medications and formula, I can just take Owen and stay put. The 9th floor is a strange place.. no doctors around (they float from other floors), no cardios, and the nurses are very sparse. The rooms are mostly empty and we are at the end of a very quiet hallway. I may be missing Stanford a bit. I am grateful that we have a team that communicates with our transplant team at Stanford and allows us to be home in AZ.
Since we are here one more night, we will eat spicy chicken wings and watch movies. Owen had chips/salsa for lunch and hasn't regretted it. Owen continues to kick butt and we will finish off his 10 day course of antibiotics.
This was just two days ago.... cdiff and norovirus are no joke. Thank you for all the prayers and well wishes. My starving boy can't get enough to eat. He just asked "doesn't the cafeteria open again at 10pm? Can you go see what they have and Facetime me so I can get some stuff."




1 comment:
Just hang in there Owen
Post a Comment