Thursday, February 4, 2010

Two Years Ago....

I just realized that today is February 4th. Two years ago, we were getting ready to say goodbye to our baby boy, not knowing if we would ever see him again. My heart was aching, my stomach was in knots, and I was in tears. This was the last picture we took before sending him off to the OR for his first open heart surgery. He was only 7 days old and so very sick with his broken heart.
Dr Pearl finished his surgery 7 hours after he began. At 11pm, we finally got to see our little guy. His chest was left open to allow for swelling and remained that way for several days.
This was his equipment that kept him alive. He looks so tiny in his hospital bed. It's amazing that he is now a big two year old!!
Even with all the oxygen and feeding tubes, heart failure and exhaustion... he is doing so well! He's gaining weight, staying healthy, and proving to the doctors that he can push off transplant a little longer.

We are so blessed that Owen has come so far. Unfortunatly, many of our little heart friends have not made it to their 2nd birthdays, or even their 1st. in order to raise awareness and money for the heart center here, we will be participating in Ethan's Run on Feb 20th. Ethan lost his battle with HLHS at just 6 months old. If you live in the Phoenix area, we hope you will register and join in the fun. We will be doing the fun run because I am too much of a slacker to try the 10k. Hope to see you there!! :)

8 comments:

The Smith's said...

Such a good reminder to count every day with our special heart kids as a blessing and gift from God. Thank you! And 10k or not, the fact that you're getting out there despite moving, unpacking, feeding ups and downs, etc. to support another heart family is incredible.

allison said...

I nearly forgot how close our boys surgeries were...Owen's Norwood, Joshua's Glenn. We are both blessed with amazing boys, aren't we!?!

Shannon said...

Wow...what a beautiful baby! He (and you) are amazing.

The Clinkscales Family said...

Cain and Owen really do need to be able to meet one day. Cain has his Norwood a year ago today. It's been on my mind all day. What miracles they both are! I wrote a very similar post last night and posted a picture of the first time we held Cain.

Crystal said...

He is so strong girl. He is such an amazing little guy, I heart him!!!

TrishAnderson said...

It is truly amazing what technology can do for the human body these days. Owen has been so blessed and cared for. I think a lot had to do with the instincts or impressions of his mommy!!!!

Smiley Family said...

Wow, I bet you will never forget that day. What a blessing that he is doing so well.

Mollie said...

i read about a new treatment in england for getting rid of antibodies in transplants. Here is the link

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,584924,00.html