Monday, September 28, 2009

Volleyball and 20 Months

Fall is in full swing around here. I wish someone would tell the weather that it's okay to cool down a bit. The last few weeks in the 100s are the worst! Kamryn decided to kick off the season with Volleyball. She's never played before, but either have most of the girls on the league. Tonight they learned to serve the ball...
Games are played on an indoor court with a 7 foot net requirement. I was worried that these little gals wouldn't be able to hit the ball that high.... they proved me wrong. Kamryn is in love with the sport and she's pretty great at it too! I can't wait for their first game in mid October.
Owen doesn't seem to mind volleyball practice much. He played in the grass, ate up all the attention and loved watching the girls throw the balls around. I just realized that it's already September 28th... WOW... Owen is 20 months old today!!
What's Owen been up to at 20 months??

I'm so glad you asked! Owen continues to be the happiest, easy going little guy. The only exception is when he gets tired. Not sleepy tired, but physically exhausted tired. Kinda like this...
No worries... all he needs is a little chill time with binki and Snorty and he's happy again...
Here is what Owen is up to...

* Imitating every single sound and movement, everything!

* Saying lots of two syllable words (ie: "da-da", "night-night", "bye-bye", "toot-toot","beep-beep") and many more of the like. Speech therapy started up again today!

* Continuing to eat a variety of super healthy foods. Favorites are peppers, pasta, broccoli, sugar snap peas, apples, yogurt, pickles...pretty much anything you put on his plate. He prefers food that requires a lot of chewing, which is great for his oral skills, but he wears out and can't eat more than a few bites. Someday, he's going to be a fantastic eater.

* Butt scoots at record speed! Tries all day to pull up on things, but is still working on his strength to get it on his own.

* Crawling is not even an option. We've tried and we are okay with the idea that crawling is out!

* Owen's PT put in an order to the insurance company for a gait trainer. Click here to see what I'm talking about. I hope the insurance will cover this little $2000 beauty. It would definetly help him build up the strength to walk. What a great day it will be to see him take his first steps!

* Owen has the greatest personality! He loves to give hugs and kisses, knuckles, will make faces on demand (ie: show me your crusty face), smiles at everyone he meets and is Mister Social.

* Sissy continues to be his favorite person ever!!! However, I am to never leave him home with Daddy and Sis because I'm sure he's afraid he will miss out on something wonderful. He's my sidekick. Daddy is his favorite to snuggle with at night. Mommy is his favorite in the morning.
We sure were blessed with two amazing kids, perfect in every way!

7 comments:

cici said...

Love this post. I love Volleyball and Kamryn looks to be a tall girl and will be the **Star** of the game!
It is great that Owen gets lots of love at the practice ;)
Happy 20 months little man. I see his facial features are no longer a baby, but a "young boy". AMAZING!

So glad he has Binky and Snorty as friends. We are so proud of you Buddy. Lot's of hugs and hopes you get your gait trainer. We love you Mr. O!!xxoo

Ryan & Brytten Pettit said...

You might be surprised, we had given up on crawling too, but now Teagan is totally giving it a try! We should put all these guys in a butt scooter race, it would be hilarious!
HEART HUGS

Stephanie said...

Kamryn looks like she's having a wonderful time. It's awesome that she has found something that she enjoys so much and is so good at! Those games will be lots of fun :)

Owen is starting to look like such a little boy...in that picture of him in the grass from the side he all the sudden looked so grown up. It continues to amaze me how quickly they grow up right before our very eyes!

Kami said...

Volleyball was a huge interest of mine in middle school - and I still love it! I'm glad to see that Kamryn is enjoying it so much :)

Happy 20 month birthday to sweet Owen! The gait trainer looks like it would be an awesome aid to helping his mobility! Here's praying that the insurance companies work with you on it :)

Allison said...

Wow. That walker looks like some serious business. I sure hope that your insurance approves it!

Momma X 4 said...

You are so blessed! Mr. Owen is a miracle more and more every day! Thank you for sharing your precious life. :)

Michelle
Oklahoma

Michelle said...

My son is just a month or so older than Owen. My prayers are with you and your family!

About the speech therapy... From what you mentioned, Owen has better speaking skills than my son! No doctor I have spoken to (or the oral speech and food therapist I consulted) seemed to think there is a major problem with him, since he understands everything said to him and has said a few words in the past. I myself barely spoke a word until the age of three. The therapist thinks that maybe my family has a genetic tendency toward over-sensitivity in the mouth that is exasperated by the enormous amounts of teething in the first couple of years. Who knows??

So, I was just wondering why speech therapy was recommended for Owen. (My son has also been a "late bloomer" in the eating dept, as I noticed you mentioned chewing issues in a few posts.)