Saturday, July 20, 2013

Post Op Day 3 ... Success!

Owen wanted to say THANK YOU for all the prayers... he is looking fantastic!   He was a busy boy today.  Lots of sitting up, working his lungs, blowing bubbles and he loves the bed percussion treatments.  His oxygen is on 2 liters and he is sitting at 100% saturations.  We'll slowly wean him down tomorrow.  I can't wait to see those little cheeks tube free for the first time in 5 1/2 years!! 

He has been so brave and tough.  No tears, no fear.  He watched his nurse pull the ivs out of his feet and didn't even flinch.  Then we pulled the central line out of his neck, snipped a lot of stitches and pulled these monsters out of his Jugular vein.  He didn't cry, just closed his eyes and we counted until it was over. 
After that was done, we got him out of bed and sitting in a chair for a bit.  Then he had his echo.  He was so excited to finally get to eat real food tonight, but the doctors decided to give him one more day.  His voice is still raspy from the ventilator and we don't want him to risk aspirating fluids into his lungs, so he needs one more day of rest.  So tomorrow.. he will feast like a king!  

I have been giving him Pedialyte and just recently added some blended food to his gtube.  He is tolerating it great and isn't feeling as hungry since his belly is getting food. 

Everything is positive.  Owen is positive.  I am so inspired and amazed at how well he is handling everything.  Not a single complaint of pain and total cooperation for the nurses and therapists.  Tomorrow we will get him walking and out of bed a little more.  The chest tubes aren't putting out much fluid, but enough that he may need them another day. 

That about wraps up our busy day in the CVICU.  Owen loves his nurse tonight and he is her only patient since he's in isolation.  So I am off to the RMH soon to get a full 8 hours of restful sleep.  Continue to pray for the donor family.. each time I place my hand on Owen's chest and feel his heart beat, I think of the family that gave Owen a second chance.

20 comments:

g-ma-vicki said...

Night night sweet buddee! ( he may just wait to cry when you tell him "no more facestickies to hold his oxygen; they are almost a security blankie!] I cannot wait to nibble on my boy!

Peg H said...

Look at how pink those lips are!!! Amazing!! And that smile, melts me heart!!

Chrys said...

Andrea, I have been following your blog for some time now, but have never commented. Just wanted to let you know that I have been praying for Owen and your family and also for the donor family - what a precious gift they have given!

Owen is such an exceptional little boy - so brave. And look at those PINK lips! Thank you for sharing his story with us.

Lauren M said...

What an amazing boy! It honestly just blows my mind at how mature Owen is, he sure is a wise old soul. Praying for your family and the donor's family!
Lots of love,
Lauren

Amy Bennett said...

Oh.my.gosh THOSE LIPS. I am totally crying over here! What an amazing, PINK little boy!!!

~VickB~ said...

Oh Andrea!! Look at your amazing little boy!! Look at his perfect squishy cheeks and his beautiful pink lips! He looks like such a different boy. God Bless him and your family, and his donor family for their strength too! Love and prayers!

Unknown said...

A fellow heart mom here from KS. Just wanted to say how great he looks in these pics today! Amazed at his strength and how well he is recovering. I will continue to follow his journey and pray for your family. Thank you for sharing this precious superhero with the world!

m said...

I have followed your journey for at least 4 years. I am so thrilled at the results. We have a special needs child that has been out of the home at a state facility since he was 15 months old. He is now 42 and thriving and comfortable. We are so blessed as are you.

Unknown said...

You all are amazing! Owen, I know you are meant for great things. A LONG life ahead. Blessings abound.

Pete, Ali, Charlie and Rosie said...

Wow! Pink lips and gappy teeth! He is amazing Andrea. So, so happy that he is doing so brilliantly! Go Owen!

Kelli said...

So very happy to hear Owen finally received a new heart!! He's an amazing boy!!

decnic said...

Amazing boy. Amazing family.

Judy B. and Family said...

Adding more prayers to the long list of grateful folks! SO incredibly blessed for you!!!

Jeff Boulden said...

Andrea, that is just amazing news. I couldn't be happier for him. His bravery through this process is outstanding!!!

Anonymous said...

His color looks amazing! Still praying for him...what a great kid!

Mari said...

Look at Super Owen!
It is most appropriate on this day that Warner Bros. has announced that Superman will pair with Batman in an upcoming film to begin production in 2014!!

Stefenie said...

Another amazing Owen update! Yay!!!! I am so happy for you guys!!

Tracy said...

Amazing! Continued prayers for Owen the Super Man. And prayer of thanks for your donor family, what a gift they shared. Hang in there Momma and take care of yourself. He looks so good. After a transplant like this, How long will Owen stay in hospital? Will you go home or stay at the RMH for awhile? Prayers and Hugs for Owen!

Suz said...

Owen is indeed a superhero!!!! God Bless him!!!! Love to all of you...

Lisa Jack said...

tears for your lovely family. what a blessing to see his sweet face completely uncovered. he is truly a miracle.